• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lorikeet diet

Tony Malta

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tony Gauci
Hi just bought a lorikeet and the person who sold to me was feeding him Herbalife healthy meal. Can anyone tell me if this product is good for a Lorii please????
This is there site
Herbalife - United Kingdom - Contact Us
At advice please?
Thank you for your help

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I’m really not sure what this is from your link, but then again, I’m in the US so have never heard of this. It looks like its for humans though?

You should be giving your lorikeet a commercial lory nectar and low iron fruits.

Safe foods that can be given daily are (peeled) apples, pears, peaches, watermelon and cucumbers. I like to put several of these in a blender with the nectar mix. You can keep in glass jars in the fridge for 2-3 days and feed as needed. Mine get it twice daily.

The fruit itself can be served plain and if you want to provide any other type of commercial food make sure it’s low iron softbill formula.

Avoid citrus, grapes...bananas can be given only as a treat. You can also serve black tea plain in a seperate bowl a few times a week as it’s thought the tannins block iron absorption.

Not sure if it’s available out of states but I use this-

https://loryfood.com/t/lory-nectar

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine

Tony Malta

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tony Gauci
Thank you for your reply. Yes that is for human consumption. But it seems the person she bought it from recomanded that product. In Europe we us the Lori powder. Once again thank you.