• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lori Loving

Bellamingo

Sitting on the front steps
IMG_2228.JPG We went to visit my grandmother yesterday, who has dementia. Because we move between mine and my fiancé's parents houses while we wait to find our own place (have to wait until his parents move because they need us to mind their cats while they travel, but my house is closer to work and uni) we had to bring Mingo with us. We had him out of the box after the long drive to have a chat to my uncle's lorikeet and look at his chickens, let him stretch and eat etc. We tried to put him back in his box before going into Granny's room because we thought his noise might upset her, but he wasn't having a bar of it and escaped like a little Houdini. So we had to keep him with us in the room with her.

My grandmother has been virtually non responsive for weeks, mumbling gibberish and not eating. She has kept birds all her life and loved them, used to help her brother draw them for Gould's book of birds even. She collected owls and bird statues, even has a rainbow lorikeet statue next to her bed.
Not only did Mingo get her to laugh several times, we got a few complete sentences and she even patted him. We were all so emotional over it as we know she's going to pass sooner rather than later as her dementia is progressing rapidly. We saw her past self for a few seconds yesterday and it was beautiful. She even drank her smoothie because I said Mingo would eat it all if she didn't (he did have a few sips and was desperate for more, it was totally safe, mainly fruit juice and egg) so we didn't have to force her to drink it like we have had to for the past few weeks.
I thought I'd share it here because it was just such a special moment and shows how animals can make people happy!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Animals tend to calm people down as long as they like them and seeing Mingo probably made her happy and start to remember her beloved birds. That is so cool and made them both happy.:highfive::heart:

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Makes your heart glad... thank you for posting and the pictures! Our fids certainly can and will give as much as they get! Their ability to make a person smile is just one of their gifts!

My very good friend passed away recently to the same disease, so I know how it feels to see a little of their previous personality come back to life!

God bless you all!

Laura729

Jogging around the block
I'm sorry to hear of your grandmother's dementia - it can be so heartbreaking. How wonderful Mingo and your grandmother were able to connect like that, and he was able to facilitate these happy moments.

And please keep posting photos of Mingo! I don't get to see many lorikeets in person, but they seem like amazing birds (and Mingo is stunning)! :heart:

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Awwww. Very touching story. And I'm sure Mingo knew he was helping your grandma too. They somehow seem to know when they're needed. :heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Glad Mingo was able to reach through to your grandmother.

Music from the Era of her early adult years has also been shown to reach through sometimes.

greytlove

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
This is so incredibly sweet. I'm glad Mingo could bring back some comfort for a little while! He probably knew he was needed and escaped because of it ;)