• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking to get a Macaw

McGregor

Moving in
Real Name
Andrew
Hi all!

Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice... I currently have a Jardines and a ringneck that I love dearly! I'm looking to expand the flock, I've had medium sized parrots such as jardines for almost 10 years now and I'm thinking about stepping up and adding a more challenging bigger bird to the flock. Any advice on whether I should look into getting a macaw and if it's compatible with my current two babies?

Thanks!

veronica2000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronica Welke-Olmos
I’m not 100% sure on this... but mixing new world and old world parrots can be risky, macaws are extremely susceptible to dust. Reason I’m not sure is that I think ringnecks are not dusty and I haven’t heard anything about Jardine’s being dusty.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
It really depends on the birds and their individual personalities.

Though if you are thinking of getting one please adopt their are so many adult birds out their who need good homes, plus they will already be past the dreaded sexually maturity stage. And the birdie can pick you rather than you pick them.

@veronica2000 cockatiels, cockatoos and African greys are very dusty and shouldn't be housed in the same rooms as macaws or conures for that matter. Both are prone to respiratory problems.

@Macawnutz @Hankmacaw are very experienced with macaws.

McGregor

Moving in
Real Name
Andrew
@veronica2000 @Jas Thanks for the help guys! Would love to adopt but living in South Africa and really can't find anywhere that facilitates adoptions :(

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
A macaw is the easiest bird for me. The smaller ones aren't as easy to physically handle and macaws are just as, if not more, personal. A baby macaw and a mature macaw are equally likely to be a shoot of the dice. Maybe an adult less so, because they have gone through the stages of growing up just like a child. Ineed to bookmark the post that @macawpower58 did that explained what stages her baby macaw went through and how he changed so drastically - just like a human child.

Have you looked in newspaper ads, or if you have something like Craig's List?

Welcome to AA.

PS - The dusty birds and new world birds just aren't good together because of the dust issue. Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome is real and it is deadly.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
We have had a very large flock at one time but are now down to about a dozen and two of them are macaws and even though we love all birds, Macaws are by far my favorite species. All of our birds are rescues and I would rescue one of the many that are in need of a good forever home.

Reactions: Jas

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
PS - The dusty birds and new world birds just aren't good together because of the dust issue. Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome is real and it is deadly.
Thats what it's called, I couldn't remember!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think whenever you mix beak sizes you have to be careful. But for instance, my goffin cockatoo just spent time with some cockatiels and a conure and he seemed to like them. They were never unsupervised together but it seemed to be okay. I think you should just never plan on birds being 'friends' because you never know. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't get a macaw if you want one.

KhanKrazy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashley
If you want a Macaw, can afford a Macaw, can afford housing/food/toys/medical care/mental and physical exercise for a Macaw, are willing to make all the necessary sacrifices for a Macaw... then get a Macaw. :)
Admittedly, this is true for all birds, just not specific to Macaws.

A bird is not like a dog or cat, they have not been domesticated to that level. They are still very close to the wild and thus there instincts are still very much intact. A bird will never be "submissive" to you. A bird is like living with another person, they have minds of their own. Feelings of their own. They have thoughts which come from a jungle mentality. Parrots do not think as we think. Parrots are however very intelligent and have learned to adapt to our way of life very well and continue to learn. They learn through love, and understanding and upon mutual respect.

That's just an excerpt of some advice I received from a friend of mine upon inquiring interest in adopting one of her Macaws.
I don't have any real Macaw experience, so I'll let the experts do the real talking. :D

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Welcome to AA! I've only had a macaw, got him as an adult, and if I were to get another bird, I'd probably do the same. I know you said where you were there wasn't anywhere to adopt from and I'm not familiar with South Africa at all, so if you do get a baby there are plenty of resources and people on here that can help out.

I'd be cautious of the different beak sizes but, as said above, if you have the finances, room, (the ability to not be too bothered by the noise, or bluffing, or big bites) time and energy - macaws are pretty great! (In my humble opinion) I'd never had a bird before Sam (part of my joining here was to help me determine whether or not I could provide for him) so I can't really offer any meaningful comparison but, I can say that I haven't regretted a day of bringing him home.

Was there a particular reason you wanted a macaw? Besides wanting a bigger bird?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
One thing I learned is as young birds all 3 of mine got along great. A Goffin, a Mealy, and my GW Macaw.
Now as adults, the two smaller birds MUST be housed separately for their safety. My macaw still likes them, they're his flock and they call to each other regularly.
But as he's matured, he's become territorial and reactive. He would hurt them badly if they entered his space or touched his cage.

Just something to think about. It is to me a pain, needing two separate spaces for my birds. I wish they could all still be in the same room.