• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking to adopt a diamond dove- Cincinnati, OH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arirang

Meeting neighbors
Hello, all!

I am looking to adopt my first bird, a diamond dove. I always prefer adopting to purchasing. While I have never owned a bird before, I have experience caring for them at the pet shop I work at (sadly, we don't carry DD's, or I'd probably take the easy route!)

I already have a cage, an avian/exotics vet, and ready access to food, toys, supplements, etc. All I need is the bird. I prefer a male, but I'm not fussy, and prefer not too old. Someone already tamed would be best, as I want a social bird. Definitely needs to be healthy. I'm willing to pay, but prefer to just adopt.

Also, if anyone can refer me to a rescue in the Cincinnati area, that would also be appreciated.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Welcome to AA. Perhaps @Birdbabe can advise.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I dont know about Cincinnati,,,haven't lived in ohio for over 28 years.. start looking for rescues in ,,,maybe Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Akron, ..you get the idea,,,good luck!

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Diamond doves are dim-witted and very flighty, not likely to become handleable and really need to be kept in pairs. A ringneck dove sounds like a much better fit for you!

Arirang

Meeting neighbors
Ringnecks are too large and too noisy... Are you sure? Everything I've read and seen on YouTube shows them readily flying to their owner when called and tolerating being picked up and petted.

Serin

I've had six, some of which I bought and some I raised. The adults were very timid, and wouldn't let you within three feet in the aviary, they spooked easily and would crash into walls and knock themselves on the head in their cages too. The babies we had, I socialized daily for at least an hour or so, held and petted and played with. Once they could fly, I couldn't touch them anymore and they became as timid as the adults. The male diamond doves are as loud as male ringnecks are. Females of both species are quiet.

Arirang

Meeting neighbors
Can ringnecks go in the same size cage? I bought an All Living Things Atrium, standard size. I can still return it.

Alternately... Any other small, notably quiet, friendly apartment birds? Something that won't break the bank like a Pionus or Senegal?

Arirang

Meeting neighbors
Also, no parakeets. At least not like the ones at PetSmart. I dislike the noise and they are sooo messy.

I'm hesitant to consider a tiel, too, as the only one I ever met whistles louder than some parrots scream!

MahaSarah

Real Name
Maha
There honestly isn't really a "quiet" bird, all birds make noise some more than others.

I am unsure though of a low noise hand tameable friendly bird that is under like $100.

Serin

Ringneck doves can be alright in very small cages but in a small one, need a few hours out each day minimum, they are strong flyers.

I honestly don't recommend any birds be kept singly, I only keep pairs minimum, but a ringneck dove (or a pigeon) seem to do better as a single pet than any parrot.

As far as other reccomendations, Java sparrows make excellent pets and cost $30- $60. Mine were very quick to become hand trained and they're entertaining birds that cannot scream.

Arirang

Meeting neighbors
Ringneck doves can be alright in very small cages but in a small one, need a few hours out each day minimum, they are strong flyers.

I honestly don't recommend any birds be kept singly, I only keep pairs minimum, but a ringneck dove (or a pigeon) seem to do better as a single pet than any parrot.

As far as other reccomendations, Java sparrows make excellent pets and cost $30- $60. Mine were very quick to become hand trained and they're entertaining birds that cannot scream.
Cute little things. I'll look at them some more.

Random aside: You joined on 3/18/18, and as of me reading that message of yours, you had 318 messages. Just a random little thing I noticed ^_^

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
The diamond doves I have met have been sweet little things and Made me get interested in indoor birds. I loved birds already but then I became interested in actually living with them:) I would get a cage as large as you can, they are birds taken from the sky and need all the space you can give them:) the doves I met were not very frightnend and would make lovely companions I think. I considered bringing two home, but I have two cage free lovies who would likely bother them haha! Of course they can be trained too, like any other animal:) They are not dumb in my opninion.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Diamond doves are adorable. I almost got to foster a pair but they got adopted before I could get them. There is Parrot Hope Rescue in Mantua Ohio. There's also A parrot to A Flamingo rescue in Brecksville OH. And Emerald Parrot Rescue in Cincinnati OH.

Status
Not open for further replies.