• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking forward

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I’ve see a lot of post recently about conures hitting the lovely age seems to be between 3 and 7
Is this what I’ve got to look forward too anyway now I can help he’s still a baby

Also I saw @Pixiebeak mentioned pellets that remi as can you explain more please he’s on different ones at min but they are definitely his favourites just couldn’t get them

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
If you are referring to my mention of soy?
Besides phytoestrogen I worry about the chemicals roundup and the genetically modifications to soy to uptake, and the persistence of those chemicals in the food and then our bodies. When I went through menopause my doc recommended soy because of the progesterone would help my symptoms. So there must be a belief those act in our hormonal system, so what do they do to men or animals? Some studies say may decrease fertility in men , lower the development in male children of secondary sex characteristics like deep voice, body hair, muscle mass shoulder width body type. In animals may effect their hormones...

Soy is used in so much stuff these days , that it was never in before! It's a cheap source of protein, it's a subsidized crop so farms get paid to grow it

Last edited:

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Benders absolute worst was probably ages 3-4. After around 7 the hormones really evened out, and he mellowed out more at 10 or so. Now he’s 13 and pretty chill.

He is male and I’ve read they can be more aggressive, although I don’t have basis for comparison. He really raised hell - flying attacks, biting lips and neck HARD, screaming… the works. And it’s totally OK to just be fed up with them. During his “bad boy” years I seriously considered rehoming him every spring.

I am thinking about adopting a new flock member, and am looking at 10+ for conures, 20+ for amazons. I saw one through adolescence and I’m not too keen on doing it again!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Benders absolute worst was probably ages 3-4. After around 7 the hormones really evened out, and he mellowed out more at 10 or so. Now he’s 13 and pretty chill.

He is male and I’ve read they can be more aggressive, although I don’t have basis for comparison. He really raised hell - flying attacks, biting lips and neck HARD, screaming… the works. And it’s totally OK to just be fed up with them. During his “bad boy” years I seriously considered rehoming him every spring.

I am thinking about adopting a new flock member, and am looking at 10+ for conures, 20+ for amazons. I saw one through adolescence and I’m not too keen on doing it again!
Oh no this does not fill me with confidence

I hope your new rehome does well can’t wait to see updates

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Oh no this does not fill me with confidence

I hope your new rehome does well can’t wait to see updates
They are all different so that might not be your experience. I suggest having your bird DNAd if you haven’t done so already. It’s important anyway for health reasons (egg binding)

I think bender might be especially feisty, and my marriage was also going south during some of his younger years. Once the divorce was over and We’d both adjusted that helped too.

I have heard of people putting their birds in boarding for a couple of days a week just to give themselves a break. If you can find the right place that could be helpful, especially if noise is a problem.

also if biting is a problem, remember you can still give your bird attention when he/she is in the cage. That’s what I did sometimes when bender was over the top.

also make sure there’s plenty of shredding material. Foraging is even better. Benders favorite is actually just a paper lunch sack with paper shreds (can use a shredder to cut up newspaper) and his favorite treat, uncooked macaronis and a few other random things tosses in. He also likes sola balls stuck full of sunflower seeds.