• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for Scarlet Breasted Parakeets in MI

Status
Not open for further replies.

AriasByMoonlight

Moving in
Real Name
Ashley
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone knew of any breeders of Scarlet Breasted Parakeets in Michigan. I have a large flight cage that they would have so much fun in! I saw a pair of them at Preuss pets in Lansing but was reluctant to buy from a pet store. Their prices seemed to be very high too- especially for birds that were not hand raised/hand tame at all.

Also, any advice as to how I should pair them? I previously had English Budgies and always kept pairs of males. Is that a good idea with the Scarlet Breasted Parakeets two or would it be better to keep a male and a female together? I do not want to breed, just want a pair for pets.

Thanks!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for sharing the link as far as pairs go I do not know anything:hug8:

isma945

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ismael Lara
Hello, well in my experience i would suggest to keep a male and a female just because having a female present with a male would encourage the male to sing and whatnot. good luck:D

AriasByMoonlight

Moving in
Real Name
Ashley
Your little boy is so cute! Thanks for sharing the pic! I loved seeing it!

Thanks for the resources! I have contacted a couple of breeders I found. I did actually rescue a young Scarlet Chested Parakeet last weekend. I found an ad for a surprisingly cheap baby ($75). I called the woman and then went to see the little one. The conditions were pretty bad. I think that the baby is a female. She is a little over three months old and has no red on her chest. Her feathers are not in very good condition at this point, but she seems to be doing pretty well otherwise- maybe a bit traumatized. I would like to find a friend for her. Right now she is in a large aviary with my little 14 year old American Budgie. He keeps her company somewhat but seems to overwhelm her a bit sometimes.

I named the baby Aria. She is very sweet- though timid. I mostly am just leaving her alone and letting her get comfortable. She is eating well for me. I give her fresh veggies every day and she seems to enjoy that. She also likes to take baths.

Right now I give Aria broccoli, kale, corn, carrots, apples, and peppers. She eats all of those pretty well. Does anyone have any suggestions of other things that she might like or things that I can give her to help improve her feather condition?

She does have cuttle bone and mineral blocks in the cage- she hasn't done much with them yet. I am hoping that Zivvy, my little Budgie, will teach her.

Status
Not open for further replies.