• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for Safe Houseplants to use as Live Perches!

Hoshi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iona
Just to give you some background:

My bird just turned 1 and is getting more and more curious by the day. I have always had a good size perch and several toys on top of his cage, and he would contently play on top of the cage (I have him out all day when I'm at the house). Recently he's been deciding to explore the living room (where his cage is), which I'm 100% okay with! He's come a REALLY long way.

When I got him, I wasn't able to be in the same room with him without him flying around in the cage, banging into the walls out of fear. And any physical contact was worlds away from reality. About 8 months later, after sitting on the outside of his cage and singing to him for hours, holding him with a towel to get used to my touch, and just pure patience, he stepped up.

As you can imagine, I'm thrilled he's feeling comfortable enough to leave the world of just the top of his cage. I can't say I'm thrilled about the messy curtains:lol:Yes, he doesn't decide to climb the shelves or wooden furniture next to him, he chooses the curtains. I'll leave the room for 5 minutes and come back to a little birdy perching nonchalantly on the top of the curtain rod, and over our white curtains. *sigh*

From there he decided to explore the tops of our loveseat and sofa, which I now keep covered in towels.

I hope this information gives you an idea on why I need a houseplant that is safe for birds:laugh:

Our windows are pretty much floor-to-ceiling, so a plant that is 5 or so feet tall would be great. Also perching on top of the curtain rod seems to be his favorite part about the window, so the plant also needs to be good for perching. This all of course comes second to the plant being completely safe for birdies!:D

Thank you for the help!

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Get a non-weeping willow! My birds LOVE climbing and chewing the leaves. It is a great indoor tree and the birds keep it trimmed.
20181226_125755.jpg 20181007_150724.jpg

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
That non weeping willow is SO pretty! I'd love to have one of those. I'd probably kill it though, my thumb is a long way from green, if you know what I mean! I used to have plants years ago, but have not had any in a while except for a beautiful outdoor potted hibiscus that I move inside each winter.
How about a bamboo plant? Those are safe to chew, and quite sturdy. I know outside they surely grow tall, but I don't remember seeing a huge one indoors.

Hoshi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iona
That non weeping willow is SO pretty! I'd love to have one of those. I'd probably kill it though, my thumb is a long way from green, if you know what I mean! I used to have plants years ago, but have not had any in a while except for a beautiful outdoor potted hibiscus that I move inside each winter.
How about a bamboo plant? Those are safe to chew, and quite sturdy. I know outside they surely grow tall, but I don't remember seeing a huge one indoors.
Bamboo plants are gorgeous as well! I did some research and I think the non-weeping willow is a "weeping fig" tree. I've seen many sites saying that it's both safe and unsafe for birds, though there's no explanation on why it wouldn't be safe. I've looked on several websites and more say that it is safe than that it isn't safe. So this one is kinda up in the air, it's a lovely tree though.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@Hoshi Here I am thinking wow, that looks like a Ficus. OH... it IS what we call a Ficus! ;)

Weeping figs are tropical trees native to Southeast Asia but can be grown successfully as houseplants in colder climates in regular room-temperature conditions. Indoors and out,weeping figs have 5-inch long glossy green leaves on droopy branches.6 days ago
Botanical Name: Ficus benjamina
Soil Type: Rich, fast draining
Plant Type: Houseplant, perennial

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
That tree looks awesome! Do you know by chance if it has another name? I can't find anything online for "non-weeping willow"!
Salix is the Latin for willow. You might have more luck Googling that. :)

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Ollie used to love sitting in my Ficus/weeping fig. The only drawback is the white sticky sap that oozes if a leaf or branch breaks. I think it is safe though.

Hoshi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iona
Here's Ollie sitting in a Ficus in our old house:

Such a beautiful tree!-- and a beautiful birdy!! I'm glad to hear that you've had luck with this tree, it really does seem like a perfect indoor tree to use as a perch:)