• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for safe flight harnesses for my cockatiel and conure

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Seen the aviator looks pretty good just want to get some more info from all of awesome avian avenue members:thanks:. You guys really have lots of info. I dont want to trust just the sights review lol:embarassed: want something more solid... like real peoples opinions and actual experiences with their own flocks! Thanks all your the best! Have great day:roflmao:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aviator: one of the best and very popular. Sometimes too rigid for a little birds comfort. Fits tight over head getting it on. The only thing I don't like about it is that you cannot take off the leash, so if your training inside your house, you have this big long cord following your bird around. Not that big of a deal I suppose.

Harness by Fred Bird that I can't remember the name of:
Very good harness also. Still rigid, but easier to put on than Aviator with removable leash.

Flightsuit: Has birdie diaper if you care about that. Rest of it is a nice shape and softer for your tiel. Leash could be longer.

Jungle Vest: Like the Flightsuit, but with no diaper. Less material for your little bird, and still soft. The Flightsuit has better shoulder straps, and this one is a little smaller. I wish they had the Flightsuit without the diaper. I'm currently working on one of my tiels to wear the Jungle vest. I wish the leash was longer, but I might make my own if I can ever get it on him.

Good luck!

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
Leathers4Feathers on etsy is good!

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Thank you! So aviator is rigid huh.... isn't just for my tiel i have a conure too... my tiel is a neophobe afraid of everything but lately she been staring out the window! So I been thinking maybe it would be good for her to go out side in a controlled way of course! Im just nervous about losing our fids
So I've heard the buckle ones r a no no cus birds are thrifty with that sort of thing lol mine are no exception. I will do more research.. i dont want to waste my money's cus i am not a rich person except in chuckles and in smiles lol:roflmao::laugh::hilarious::p:wacky:
THANKYOU @Tiel Feathers and @AvianCrew :toyou: im gonna go check those ones out!

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I have the petite aviator harness for my conure and it is a bit of a task to get it on right. He stepped a couple of times on the leash part , it is kind of in the way on a small bird. The part over his head did not bother him at all and the parts around the wings eiter, bt them there is a lot of material he stepped on and pulled on if the leash is in front.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Jungle Vest: Like the Flightsuit, but with no diaper. Less material for your little bird, and still soft. The Flightsuit has better shoulder straps, and this one is a little smaller. I wish they had the Flightsuit without the diaper. I'm currently working on one of my tiels to wear the Jungle vest. I wish the leash was longer, but I might make my own if I can ever get it on him.

Good luck!
I like the jungle vest a lot, I made my own leash. The Avian Fashions bird diapers aren't bad but they are heavier, it depends on what you're using them for I guess. I really liked using them in the winter. I had trouble with the aviator harness as Nafesh kept thinking I was asking her to step up when I wanted to take the harness off. Where I live now there are too many stray cats to think about bringing my birds outside, they're a little too brave for my liking. I've heard about Leathers4Feathers but I've never tried them.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
@MandaExotics I was wondering what size Jungle harness does your cockatiel wear? I recently got a size 4 for my cockatiel who is 86 grams and it seems very small. I haven't been able to put it on yet, but it just looks like it won't fit. I got a size 5 Flightsuit for him, and it's a good fit I think. (He only has worn it for a couple of seconds, so it was kind of hard to tell.). I was just wondering, do you know if the Jungle Harness runs small?

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
@Tiel Feathers I have noticed the sizes for Jungle Wear run smaller but I will say I find they fit my tiel better. The Avian Fashions size chart is always just a little too loose for my comfort in bringing my birds outside with them on so I order a size smaller than the chart. For Jungle Wear I buy the size recommended (for my cockatiel a size 4). It is tight but not strangle-my-bird tight. Nafesh weighs either 87 or 89 grams and fits it fine but snuggly. She however has very little fat (according to my vet). These are just my experiences with them, you may not like how they fit.

I like to use them for car rides so my cockatiel isn't crammed in a small cage the entire time too.

Last edited: