• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for nutrition suggestions for our two dry skin birds.

David Sean

Meeting neighbors
We have a yellow nape and a Indian ringneck. Both are very dry in the feet and skin as our vet confirmed today. Any dietary suggestions to help this would be greatly appreciated.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What are they currently eating and what suggestions did the vet have?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can you rub vitamin E oil or A&D ointment on them? Or Spritz the bird, feet included with Aloe Vera water?

David Sean

Meeting neighbors
The vet suggested regular bathing and palm oil. They eat a seed mix and veggies steamed plus apples and oranges. I have been applying aloe gel to the amazons feet as well for a day or two

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do they get unfiltered sunlight daily then? Since you aren't feeding pellets they could be vitamin deficient (D3 specifically) which could be contributing to the issue.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Could be light too as Vit D3 can affect skin. Could add organic coconut oil to mash or even apply that to area.
Palm oil is good suppliment.
Aloe gel & misting is good.
I don;t know about the A& D ointment. Not all of them are good & most are half petroleum jelly.
Petroleum jelly is not as good to apply as it won;t allow moisture to reach skin.
Coconut oil I think would be better or natural vitamin E oil.

Really moisture is best for dry skin even a humidifier. Lots of oils just are not absorbed. They only provide a barrier.
A & D ointment is made to keep water away from skin area. You don;t really need that.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I highly recommend Red Palm Oil Amazon.com : Avitech AviGlo Organic Red Dende Palm Oil 4 oz : Adult Bird Food : Pet Supplies and Flax Seed Oil Amazon.com: Nature's Way Organic Flax Oil, Super Lignan, 16 Ounce: Health & Personal Care I'm not a fan of Aloe, so take that as you may. Also coconut oil has no nutritional value. You will be amazed at the improvement in their feather quality.

Your birds need direct sunlight (not filtered through glass), or with a full spectrum lamp and calcium (not supplement, but through food). Other wise they cannot metabolize the calcium. Birds don't have smooth skin on their feet anyway.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
How much of the diet is vegetables? What vegetables do you feed?

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
I use Emu Oil, I did with Whitney my U2 and do so with Ella my CAG. Whitney would come and get her beak and feet rubbed with the oil it was cute. Ella it is somewhat of training deal with being able to touch her feet and beak, now I can do her beak easily, her feet just a bit but she will eventually come around. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The vet suggested regular bathing and palm oil. They eat a seed mix and veggies steamed plus apples and oranges. I have been applying aloe gel to the amazons feet as well for a day or two
That is all that's needed.

The question to me, is your vet an avian vet? Birds feet are naturally and purposely dry and scaly. This is what keeps them warm. I don't even know how he would tell that the birds "skin" is dry (it's also supposed to be).

(Go outside with bare feet. First go outside dry. Then go outside with your feet moist. Which way was warmer?)