• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for Ideas

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So I'm working to get our upstairs room spruced up again, ready for the bird. He lives in my bedroom (main level) where he gets lots of out of cage time (large flight cage, decked out playstand) but I'd like if he could have more.

So I'm looking for ideas.

I have 2 spare cages as well as his travel cage up there, I'm thinking of having one on one side of the room and the other near my desk, where I spend a lot of time.

I can't hang anything from the ceiling, so I'm thinking of getting a couple of clothes racks. Also open to the ideas of playstands, but I don't have a lot of money to buy ones. My dad is pretty crafty (worked in the trades) so we're open to the idea of DIY stuff. Would one or two of those small tabletop stands be a good idea?

Also, I need tips for how to keep Chirp off the floor. I have no issue with him being on the floor, it's him chewing on the carpet and whatever is in it that worries me. That carpet is well over 40 years old, so god knows what it's been exposed to over the years (at one point that room was used to dry sausage...).

I've been putting sheets and blankets on the floor to keep him off, but no matter how much fun and enrichment I provide he still goes down to the floor. Which would be fine, if he stopped trying to chew things from the rug!!

Any ideas??

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I would cover the carpet with linoleum carpet and birds don't go together

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Could you offer foraging trays on the tables? Maybe that could be his new "ground". @TikiMyn has some nice forging tray ideas for her guys. :)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I would cover the carpet with linoleum carpet and birds don't go together
Unfortunately my entire house, more or less, is carpet (Hooray for post-war housing!). The only areas without it is my kitchen, my room (where the bird is normally), the bathroom, and the basement. There is no way my dad will spring for that, plus the room in question is very big.

Maybe I'll do something similar to what @saroj12 does, I believe she has a whole bunch of blankets and stuff on the floor?

Could you offer foraging trays on the tables? Maybe that could be his new "ground". @TikiMyn has some nice forging tray ideas for her guys. :)
I'll try it, I have an old used playstand I got really cheap that I tried that concept with but Chirp still wants to hang out on the floor like the goober boy he is. Even in my room, he still goes down to the rug to forage even though he has loads of actual foraging in his cage, a huge playstand, etc. I'll try it though, thank you :)

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I think foraging trays could work:) Is he really only interested in chewing the carpet or is he chewing it while also foraging through it? If he is only chewing it, it might not be enough to distract him, in that case blankets like you Said could work great as well!
Lovies are ground foragers like budgies, my fids love exploring the floor/flat surfaces. Things I have for them that might give you Some ideas are:
Hay in a tray/basket
Pebbles in a tray
Toy parts/beads in a tray
Grass mats
A basket with flowers
I also have small pet bedding they love to chew up, it is all natural pressed straw pellets
Areas for them on top of a closet and inside an open closet(a book closet? Not sure if it is called that in English as well!)
You can mix those up as well of course and add foraging treats/toys. To increase flat areas I have hanging baskets and seagrass mats:)
In closet area:
0E243F56-4959-4E8A-ABBB-8A26C252DD5B.jpeg
I could only find this old pic, I used grit in here is well but theh started consimung a bit of that plus it was very difficult to clean so I don’t use that anymore. 56202926-D7C4-4FDD-B099-B2F6404EF975.jpeg

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I think foraging trays could work:) Is he really only interested in chewing the carpet or is he chewing it while also foraging through it? If he is only chewing it, it might not be enough to distract him, in that case blankets like you Said could work great as well!
Lovies are ground foragers like budgies, my fids love exploring the floor/flat surfaces. Things I have for them that might give you Some ideas are:
Hay in a tray/basket
Pebbles in a tray
Toy parts/beads in a tray
Grass mats
A basket with flowers
I also have small pet bedding they love to chew up, it is all natural pressed straw pellets
Areas for them on top of a closet and inside an open closet(a book closet? Not sure if it is called that in English as well!)
You can mix those up as well of course and add foraging treats/toys. To increase flat areas I have hanging baskets and seagrass mats:)
In closet area:
View attachment 284457
I could only find this old pic, I used grit in here is well but theh started consimung a bit of that plus it was very difficult to clean so I don’t use that anymore. View attachment 284459
That all looks really neat!

Yeah he isn't so much interested in chewing the carpet as much at chewing on things inbetween the fibers. I've put down sheets on the floor, and even if I leave an entire millet spray on the sheet he'll run off of it to go forage in the carpet.

A while back I had a bunch of ceramic dishes with toy parts in them, mainly large wooden beads, he seemed to like throwing those around while foraging, so I'll have to set up some again. I'd love to offer flowers, I'm in an area where loads of people get their yards sprayed so I can't really do it, a while back I got a wheatgrass kit that grew like wildfire so I'll have to pick up another.

Any ideas on fun play areas? Diy playstands or otherwise? Hoping to go to walmart soon and get one or two clothes racks, and get some ideas.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
If you can get baskets, plastic discs or a tray you could do something with that!
I took Some pics of little play areas I have at the moment, I am still changing things so Some areas are a bit bare:)
CB3E2230-E3AD-4826-B6CB-E9CD68D08765.jpeg
Seagrass tunnel and basket
C70FC585-0480-4F3D-BED4-A5ACBF204E1C.jpeg
Another basket, they love destroying foot toys in this one and today Fëanor napped on the edge
D398AE45-2168-4F92-8D79-FE30FC10A04B.jpeg EC2E5507-12EA-46DD-B6BE-0231C11FFEFD.jpeg
This is on top of my closet(yeah they had a busy day and threw the Stones everywhere!), the big tray from my previous post is next to it as well, but I am extremely limited on phone space right now so couldn’t get a pic lol!
The play thing is a piece of lumber screwed Onto a plate, then I just drilled holes and inserted perches:)
0B6ED05F-3C05-4434-B8BE-ED91F6EF5CA2.jpeg
I use this to feed fresh food sometimes, but it could also be a play area. You could do the same thing with multiple levels and dog frisbees I think:)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
My dad got a clothes rack (9$ at walmart!) and we put it together, Jo-anns is having an online doorbuster, 60% off all antipill fleece!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
My dad got a clothes rack (9$ at walmart!) and we put it together, Jo-anns is having an online doorbuster, 60% off all antipill fleece!
That’s awesome! Can’t Wait to see how you turn it into an amazing play area!:dance5:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I took Chirp upstairs again today, just for a few minutes because it's so hot. He checked out the clothes rack, he seems to like it. He did several speedy zooms, and he seems rather excited by the whole space!!! Hoping to get it really spruced up soon!!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You could use fake grass for a foraging mat.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
You could use fake grass for a foraging mat.
A good idea. Got any idea where to find it in person? There are a couple places I could get it online but I'd prefer to just go buy it in person.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
You are going to post pictures sometime right:D There is never enough pics of sweet Chirp:heart:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I did a little checking ; Home Depot carries it but most people seem to be buying the kind for dogs and using it for birds. Amazon.com: Synturfmats Artificial Grass for Dog Decorative Synthetic Turf Runner Rugs, 2' x 4', Indoor/Outdoor Green: Garden & Outdoor
Thanks for the link! There's no way my dad is gonna let me get that (money and such) but it's a cool idea anyway. Thanks!

You are going to post pictures sometime right:D There is never enough pics of sweet Chirp:heart:
Of course!! :D

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yeah I was hoping it’d help you think of a smaller or cheaper version. Or if they have samples? I dunno.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Or if they have samples?
I've got a nice selection of samples, in the Netherlands you can get a whole bunch of them at stores that sell those mats and other garden stuff. Not sure about America of course. My brother and sister had the floor of their room covered in it(yeah indoors lol!) and they got a lot of samples to choose from. I kept them to play with and later I found them again for the fids to use.

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Where do you guys purchase your baskets? I'm hoping to find a decent sized one with a handle for my Sun, but whenever I search online I get unsafe results or ones for rabbits! :D

I definitely agree with making a foraging playground of sorts on a table top, or maybe if your cage has a shelf below it you could do it there? Might deter your birb child from wanting the carpet, but its still kind of near the floor that it will entice/train them?

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Where do you guys purchase your baskets? I'm hoping to find a decent sized one with a handle for my Sun, but whenever I search online I get unsafe results or ones for rabbits! :D

I definitely agree with making a foraging playground of sorts on a table top, or maybe if your cage has a shelf below it you could do it there? Might deter your birb child from wanting the carpet, but its still kind of near the floor that it will entice/train them?
Good ideas Chelsea. You can even pick up baskets at dollar stores - as long as they don’t have a shiny finish they should be safe.and no paint or dye of course.