• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Looking for help with baby cockatiel.

Demented_Hag

Moving in
I have the thread on “watch” but it isn't even telling me about any posts other than a few from a while ago.

So we took her to a bird store and a vet since last time I posted. They both said she looks fine and all and just gave us antibiotics and anti-fungal but it doesn't seem to be helping a week and a half later. The vet also got the stool checked and nothing came up of it. I’m trying to find out how to help her but I just have no clue anymore. The food doesn't go down no matter how long we wait and we’re forced to empty it every 24 hours. I’d say she’s digesting about 10% of what we feed her. She’s constantly low on energy and I recently started massaging her crop to help her get the food down. She’s been pooping more and digesting more but I don’t feel like she’s getting any better in the long-run.

Demented_Hag

Moving in
I came here wondering if anyone had any ideas for what to do after emptying the crop. I’ve read a bunch of stuff like alka seltzer (which everyone seems to be disagreeing with), pepto bismol, pedialyte, yogurt, spice mix, apple cider vinegar, etc, but I don't know what this stuff does or if it will help her knowing that this probably isn't a bacterial problem.

edit:
We’ve currently been just feeding her again after emptying.

Attachments

Last edited:

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd start looking into a crop bra then. I have no experience with them, so I can't help you much. Otherwise, you can sit with her in your lap putting very, very gentle upward/supportive pressure on the crop. The crop should not get that big. How much does she weigh and how many cc's do you give her each feeding? How often are you feeding?