• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for catfish keepers

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
:omg:
He's building a small lake in the backyard! Not sure how I'd feel about my husband doing something like that. He's lucky to have such an accepting girlfriend:)

I would also guess it's an oxygenation issue or build up of nitrates in the water from serious overcrowding (I know it is a temporary situation, but it is likely very overcrowded nonetheless). How's the filtration in the holding tank? I would imagine with a population that large, he would need to change the media far more frequently than in a decorative fish tank. Also, has he added an adequate air pump to the holding tank? I think some species of catfish can breathe air, but not all can (and I am not sure what species those are). That's where I would start- filtration and oxygenation. I'd also be sure the water temperature is adequate for the species and add heaters or chillers if necessary.

How long until the pond is complete? Since the fish like them, will he be adding plants to the pond?

CallmeSweetie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Andrea
Hi Kiwi,

Thank you for your support :) I thought it was a great question about the plants and the response was no because how will he fish if they run and hide in the plants.

Right now nothing more has happened it's still just got the lining down, big domestic over that since I was roped in to help put it in place and it was too heavy for me, next step he needs to get some help to finish getting it in the right place.

Don't even get me started on the filtration because there has been no word on that and I'm really worried how it's all gonna work!

I'll keep you posted :)

CallmeSweetie

Real Name
Andrea
new update :) so catfish are growing fast! but apparently to fill the pond we are waiting for rain! :D Gotta love the Thais for their resourcefulness :) I think we are at 5% to capacity right now!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You have built a very large pond for them. Does more work still need to be done before the fish can go in, or is it just waiting for more rain?

Matt

CallmeSweetie

Real Name
Andrea
he said fish are going in soon! just finishing around the edges, I'll be pleased as the catfish are getting too big now for the holding tank!