• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

looking for birds in MN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
Looking for birds around Minnesota, northern Iowa, or Wisconsin. Preferably a smaller breed like a lovebird, cockatiel, green cheeked conure, or parakeet. We won't adopt for a while, because the shock of Kiwi's death, but I'm starting to look because caring for a bird was amazing and brought so much joy to me and I'd like to take in another feathered friend.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I used to live in Minnesota, in Winona. The Minneapolis Craigslist usually has several, as does Rochester and LaCrosse

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
I used to live in Minnesota, in Winona. The Minneapolis Craigslist usually has several, as does Rochester and LaCrosse
I checked Craigslist and it seemed quite sketchy currently. Many people are trying to 'trade' their birds for a 'cooler' pet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I checked Craigslist and it seemed quite sketchy currently. Many people are trying to 'trade' their birds for a 'cooler' pet.

You just have to keep checking sometimes :/

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
We found Lurch on Ki Gee or whatever it was called but there usually are a few birds on Craigslist all the time here. Usually smaller birds but there's been a Amazon and a few others lately too. I think keegee is eBay classified ads in the states now.

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
We were at PetSmart for dog food and we decided to check out the conure there. I went in the cage and it was awful. An employee grabbed him and he freaked out and fell onto the floor of the cage squeaking. I took 15 minutes to calm him down and he did a really good job and stepped towards me! That poor bird just needs someone to work with him. The employee also got angry that I could work with him. It was very upsetting :angry101:

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
We were at PetSmart for dog food and we decided to check out the conure there. I went in the cage and it was awful. An employee grabbed him and he freaked out and fell onto the floor of the cage squeaking. I took 15 minutes to calm him down and he did a really good job and stepped towards me! That poor bird just needs someone to work with him. The employee also got angry that I could work with him. It was very upsetting :angry101:
I try to avoid petco for that reason, I just become upset every time I go there. :(

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
My Petco USED to have a nice dedicated bird section and a very loving lady who was in charge of it. Now I think they downsized to a new but smaller building and just have small birds like budgies and like that now.

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
She Is adorable!

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I have to say, that I am glad that you are taking in a rehomed bird as oppose to buying a bird at a big chain store. Big stores treat their animals horribly, and you don't want to promote that kind of business.

I'm glad to see that you are offering a bird in need a home, but even so, I can't help but worry... I understand that you're probably still mourning the loss of Kiwi and feel that having a new bird in your life will help with that loss... I know that what I'm about to say will probably be immensely unpopular, but can you responsibly take in another bird in your life right now, given Kiwi's fate? It sounds like even when you know what is right for your bird and you know what the right decision to make should be, you are surrounded by people who hinder your efforts, and Kiwi suffered for that.

So, I have to ask: what will you be doing differently this time so that this new bird has a long, happy life with you? What will you do this time to ensure that you can protect this bird? Will you lock the bird cage's door so that your sister does not put this bird's life at risk from your other pets? Do you have the money saved up so that you could pay to Uber/taxi to a certified avian vet and pay for that vet visit in case of an emergency? Will your new bird go in for an initial vet check up (and also so that your vet already knows you and your bird before any emergency situation happens)? Will you be able to continue taking care of this bird for the next 20-30 years of your life?

I know this may be hard to hear, but I never want you to relive what happened to Kiwi. You may hate me for saying all of this, but I hope that you see it for what it is - a little tough love.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
@kiwi203 Bee is adorable! I'm glad you found a bird in need, and I know you will enjoy having a little girl Cockatiel. Please make sure you take the appropriate steps to insure she has a nice, safe home with a long life, as @ode.to.iparrots suggested. I can't wait to hear all about her!

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
I have to say, that I am glad that you are taking in a rehomed bird as oppose to buying a bird at a big chain store. Big stores treat their animals horribly, and you don't want to promote that kind of business.

I'm glad to see that you are offering a bird in need a home, but even so, I can't help but worry... I understand that you're probably still mourning the loss of Kiwi and feel that having a new bird in your life will help with that loss... I know that what I'm about to say will probably be immensely unpopular, but can you responsibly take in another bird in your life right now, given Kiwi's fate? It sounds like even when you know what is right for your bird and you know what the right decision to make should be, you are surrounded by people who hinder your efforts, and Kiwi suffered for that.

So, I have to ask: what will you be doing differently this time so that this new bird has a long, happy life with you? What will you do this time to ensure that you can protect this bird? Will you lock the bird cage's door so that your sister does not put this bird's life at risk from your other pets? Do you have the money saved up so that you could pay to Uber/taxi to a certified avian vet and pay for that vet visit in case of an emergency? Will your new bird go in for an initial vet check up (and also so that your vet already knows you and your bird before any emergency situation happens)? Will you be able to continue taking care of this bird for the next 20-30 years of your life?

I know this may be hard to hear, but I never want you to relive what happened to Kiwi. You may hate me for saying all of this, but I hope that you see it for what it is - a little tough love.
We have a lock on the cage. We now keep my room door shut tightly so cats can't get in. There was one good vet at the clinic we took Kiwi to, and we've specifically asked to see her. I have money saved up, around 200 dollars as of now, and I have a summer job. She's going in for a checkup this Wednesday. What was most heartbreaking about Kiwi's death was that I was prepared to care for her for 25 more years, and I didn't see her sudden death coming. I'm planning to take her (Bee) with me to college (in 5 years.)

Status
Not open for further replies.