• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for a new cage

ItsMyLife

Strolling the yard
My Quaker’s cage is 24x24x35h (excluding the stand and play gym).

But he never ventures into the lower portion of his cage, really he only uses the top 6-10 inches except to go to his water bowl.

I’ve been trying to find a cage that’s around 30-40in long, and not very tall. He seems to prefer it, but I’m struggling to find a decent one for a price that’s not the cost of my house and car each month.

Any suggestions?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I don't have a quaker, but to get my bird to use the rest of his cage I put his food and water down at the bottom, with lots of foraging near the bottom. Worked like a charm! Now I can put his bowls higher up but he'll still use the bottom.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Google "Prevue Pet Products Hampton Deluxe Divided Breeder Cage System with Stand"

It's $123 at Amazon. This was recommended when someone else was looking for a long cage without much height. It comes with or without the stand. You can take the divider out and use the whole cage for one bird. Not sure what happens with droppings since there are 2 trays. Also not sure if it's appropriate for a Quaker. But this cage is so interesting and I know at least one person has it.

Last edited:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That’s the exact cage I was looking at!
Isn't it so cool? I wonder if it would work for your Quaker? I hope the person who has it notices this thread and gives you more info.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I looked for this at Walmart where I usually get my cages to see the price, and wow - there's a woman there with a review that says it is bad because of the space between the cages. (her review here after the link). I wonder if there would be the same space she is talking about with the divider removed?
Prevue Pet Products Hampton Deluxe Divided Breeder Cage, Black Hammertone - Walmart.com

Her review: >>> "I bought this cage for my two lovebirds and the stacked one (on top of this) for my two parrotlets. The worse cages ever! They look like a jail for my little pretty birds. I used to use the Vision cages for my birds before I will buy these terrible things. The difference is huge!!! The w o r s e of all is that always my hardwood floor is a mess bcz of these cages. In the place where divider is, it's a space, so all seeds and peels of seeds are falling down... I have to vacuum at least 5 times per day in this area (my living room). This cage made my life so difficult....I would return it, but it's a lot of hassle to disassemble it. Probably is going for donation. I was not expecting something like that from Prevue and believe me I am a customer of them for a lot of years now, as I have 10 birds. I have HQ cages, Prevue and Vision. This is the worse...."

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my. That's not good. Amazon has glowing reviews!

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
I don't have a quaker, but to get my bird to use the rest of his cage I put his food and water down at the bottom, with lots of foraging near the bottom. Worked like a charm! Now I can put his bowls higher up but he'll still use the bottom.

Ditto on this. Foraging opportunities in the lower part of the cage will get him used to and enjoy it!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh my. That's not good. Amazon has glowing reviews!

I hate it when the reviews on some sites bounce back and forth like a rubber ball, don't you? And at one time, I realized that some folks giving the reviews were 'verified', somehow, and it made you wonder if the reviewers were somehow gaining points for glowing reviews. I have been known to ignore the reviews on something if I REALLY really want it. (thinking back now to that silly toilet bowl light that changed colors in my toilet for about 5 minutes before it broke!) LOL

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
This may be too small for you. It basically just rearranges the space from the cage you have now. I just put it together for my two budgies. Have to say for the price I'm impressed. The size of the actual cage is 18" deep x 30" wide and 34" tall. I really like the lock on the door and the swivel triangles to keep the grate in and as a safety feature on the door. 30"x18"x64" Wrought Iron Aviary Birds Cages White Vein – yescomusa

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I have a double (actually a quadruple) for sale...not sure if you are close to Ohio?

The center dividers aren't there so you couldn't divide into fourths.

Discounted Bird Cage

TwoTinyTrees

Avenue Veteran
My Quaker’s cage is 24x24x35h (excluding the stand and play gym).

But he never ventures into the lower portion of his cage, really he only uses the top 6-10 inches except to go to his water bowl.

I’ve been trying to find a cage that’s around 30-40in long, and not very tall. He seems to prefer it, but I’m struggling to find a decent one for a price that’s not the cost of my house and car each month.

Any suggestions?

Had that problem too...just as others have suggested move food bowls and water to the bottom :) well worked for my tiels anyway lol