• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for a feathered friend

Stoney7713

Moving in
Real Name
Robert
New to the forum but not completely new to birds.

I'm having troubles finding breeders in my area. Anyone have any tips? Looking for small to medium sized birds. Cockatiel, Conure, Caique, sizes.

I have everything set up for a new bird, finding one is proving difficult.

My past experience years ago was with an abused/neglected Macaw. I really ended up loving that bird and we ended up with a good bond, but she had a hate streak for certain people.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the forum Robert :)

Maybe you could say which state or province.

have you considered fostering or even adopting a bird
Considering you rescued a macaw, maybe getting a bird from a shlter is something you may want to look into.

Good luck with the search for your new family member :bliss:

Stoney7713

Moving in
Real Name
Robert
Southern Indiana, 5 hours to Chicago, 4.5 hours to St Louis. Adoption is something I have looked into, but there are no bird centers, that I have found, close to where I live.

Local animal shelters, they don't recieve birds.

Nearest Avian Vet is almost 2 hours away. Nearest Vet that sees birds is 45 minutes away. Dogs, cats, farm animals are 99.9% of what you find around here. Several vets won't even see reptiles anymore.

I have done some work and keep my ears and eyes open looking for opportunities. Local word of mouth, Craigslist, Hoobly, etc.

I've came to the conclusion there will be travel no matter what I decide. Decreasing the risks with a tame/semi tame bird with my limited resources in the area I feel would be best.

Stoney7713

Moving in
Real Name
Robert
I guess I should say, I am not against adoption or an older bird or the possible work. Those matches are not always heavenly, of course none are guaranteed. I also have young children to take into consideration.

I'm just trying to keep the odds in my favor of a successful feathered friend.

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
I would try contacting the closest bird rescues (even if they're not really close) and trying to set up some sort of "relay" where perhaps you could meet them halfway (they might have volunteers who wouldn't mind driving a few hours and passing the bird on to someone else and then eventually to you). I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it might be something to consider.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have everything set up

Have you made contact with an avian vet so that your bird will have medical coverage and some $ set aside for the cost?

It is also important to have the room where you bird will be living made safe. Cover any reflective surfaces (including windows and mirrors), fans not running, all household items that are toxic to birds removed (like Teflon items), toilet seats down at all times. There are many unsafe places a bird can land such as an aquarium.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! There are often birds listed on Craig's list too if there are no bird rescues near you. Both of my birds have been older birds and both great birds.

Stoney7713

Moving in
Real Name
Robert
I have looked into the adoption process at a couple places. One was local adoptions only, another one had a long list of requirements of interviews, evaluations, and visits. It was discouraging, but I might try again if I don't have any other luck.

I mean I have considered leaving my name and number with the Animal Shelters in the surrounding counties in case they ever get a call about a bird. But then I would want to rescue them all and I don't know if I got the space, time, or the wife's approval for that one...lol

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! So glad you're here!

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
Would you feel comfortable shipping a bird from a breeder? I don't have any experience in the subject personally, just thought I'd throw the option out there.

Also, maybe if you have a vacation planned for this summer, you could kill two birds with one stone (excuse the expression), check out birds while you're away, and pick one up on your way home.