• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking at canary or finches

Alyse

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyse
Hello everyone! Not new to Avian Avenue, or to birds, but new to canaries and finches.

My husband and I are looking into either getting a single canary or a pair of finches (may grow to more if things go well). I was wondering people’s experiences and pros/cons to each, whether different types of finches can be housed together(zebras and society for example) or things that a new owner of small birds may not think of. I know that they are not birds we’d likely tame or be able to “play with” and that’s okay, and I know to keep them away from my conure (would have separate cages and areas). I also know canaries and finches should not be housed together, and I wouldn't do that, just looking for guidance towards one or the other. Looking forward to suggestions and tips from the little bird pros!

Last edited:

Lili

Moving in
Real Name
Lili
The only thing I can suggest is to find breeders of these types of finches and ask them questions. Some of them have websites that teach you how to take care of the birds.
Such an website is this one, but there are more others.
Welcome to Our Home Page

Here is also a list of breeders.
ASC Breeder Referral List

Niran Jay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Niran Jay
Hi, I've owned canaries zebra and society finches and currently have three society's living in a big cage with my 5 parakeets. I think , as long as the birds are not breeding and are used to living with other birds, you can house them together. As far as canaries go, I owned a single canary for a while named Chickpea . He's gone now, but seemed OK living in his own cage and singing as long as I let him out every day for excersize. It depends on the bird itself and how it was raised. Birds that were raised socially may not do well alone, birds that were raised singly may not get along with other birds..