• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Look who came home this weekend!

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
We went to visit our baby bird last Friday and were told that she was weaned and could come home!
I really had a hard time containing myself :fairy2: but I played it cool, visited with her for a while and then we bought some of the foods she was weaned on and about a million bird accoutrements, including a little travel cage and took our baby home! Luckily her cage had arrived and we'd put it together and "decorated".

As you guys know I was so worried about her ride home, but she was FINE! She mostly just wanted to get out of the travel cage and sit on us like normal. I had to explain to her that it would be dangerous and she's have to wait :smuggrin: It was a pretty short ride. Oh and I placed the cage so her perch was parallel to the car and it seemed to help her feel more stable...when she wasn't clinging to the sides of the cage!

She's been home since Friday night and is doing so well!! Today she tried some strawberry and some softened beans and really enjoyed them. That was a relief because she's weaned onto a seed and pellet mix with a lot of white millet, so I was worried that would be all she ate. I know, I'm worried about everything and it's only day 3 :rolleyes:

So here's a little photo of Clover (working name, we're waiting for results of a DNA test, but we "feel" she is a girl haha!) My partner thinks a "B" name would be better, but we haven't thought of a good one yet.

Attachments

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
Awww, what a sweet little baby! I like the name Clover. She's green like a little 4 leaf Clover.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
OMG........Clover is adorable AND I love the name. I understand the name is tenuous depending on DNA results. I was wondering if you had gotten your bird yet. Enjoy your new baby and make sure and give us lots of updates. I am getting close to getting my Lovebird so I share your excitement.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Clover is adorable! And I love the name...girl or boy, I think it still fits.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Adorable! Enjoy being a parront. You become so attached to these little fellers it's amazing. I feel like my George is my human son. My mom makes fun of me for it but I really feel that way.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Clover is adorable. For a "B" name the one that hits me is Brazil.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
I like the name Clover. Benjamin would be my B name of choice. If it's a female then maybe something classy like Elizabeth.

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
Cutie!!!

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
So adorable!! For a 'B' name I like Basil. But Clover is such a perfect name

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Clover is very cute.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Thanks so much everyone! I just could not be happier with her (or him? haha!) She was eating and drinking like a champ Saturday morning (although she is addicted to seeds) and enjoying time out of her cage with us. This must be a baby thing, but she is just so confident. She doesn't startle at all when we talk to her in her cage, or reach our hands in to refill food/water/adjust perches etc. As a matter of fact while I was trying to attach an additional perch she wouldn't stay out of the way and kept trying to climb up my arm!
She definitely lets us know if/where she doesn't want to be touched, and although she generally steps up well we're working on training a solid step out of the cage with treats.

I'm thinking of making a simple pvc stand I can use for training. Something I can get my hand underneath to teach things like "turn around". I bought vet wrap in case I made something like it, but she seems to like chewing on it, which kind of scares me.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Oh gosh and I forgot to add, thanks to everyone for all their encouragement and answering my newbie questions :heart: I am so excited about being a parront and already feel like I'm learning a lot from my interactions with my new bird!

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
Thanks so much everyone! I just could not be happier with her (or him? haha!) She was eating and drinking like a champ Saturday morning (although she is addicted to seeds) and enjoying time out of her cage with us. This must be a baby thing, but she is just so confident. She doesn't startle at all when we talk to her in her cage, or reach our hands in to refill food/water/adjust perches etc. As a matter of fact while I was trying to attach an additional perch she wouldn't stay out of the way and kept trying to climb up my arm!
She definitely lets us know if/where she doesn't want to be touched, and although she generally steps up well we're working on training a solid step out of the cage with treats.

I'm thinking of making a simple pvc stand I can use for training. Something I can get my hand underneath to teach things like "turn around". I bought vet wrap in case I made something like it, but she seems to like chewing on it, which kind of scares me.

Yukio is scared of his perches when I hold them :rolleyes: Your baby is doing a great job!

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
I just wanted to give you, along with my congratulations, some sage advice. George was being cared for by a babysitter (his breeder actually) for a month while I was gone recently and came back with respiratory issues he is now on meds for.

Birds have a ridiculously sensitive respiratory system. They have very efficient lungs but there is almost no filtration to their respiratory system. I don't know what happened to George while he was away but he was clearly exposed to something.

Please, for the love of god, do not:

do not Use TEFLON pots or pans. If you have them, sell them or toss them in the garbage. They give off fluorine which can kill birds. It slowly kills you too btw.

do not Use windex, pinesol, etc cleaning products (at all if possible) and if you must use them, use in an extremely well ventilated area and nowhere near your bird.

do not Cook without using your extractor hood and having goo:hug8:d ventilation. Even the smoke from overheated oil can hurt your bird

Do not put your bird in your kitchen or near the air that passes through your kitchen for the above reasons while cooking and until the air has been cleared. Definitely dont keep the bird's cage in the kitchen

do not smoke indoors. Do not smoke outdoors near an open window so the smoke can come back inside

do not burn incense, use fabreeze, use plug in air freshners, burn candles

Don't let your bird end up sick like my poor George.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
I just wanted to give you, along with my congratulations, some sage advice. George was being cared for by a babysitter (his breeder actually) for a month while I was gone recently and came back with respiratory issues he is now on meds for.

Birds have a ridiculously sensitive respiratory system. They have very efficient lungs but there is almost no filtration to their respiratory system. I don't know what happened to George while he was away but he was clearly exposed to something.

Please, for the love of god, do not:

do not Use TEFLON pots or pans. If you have them, sell them or toss them in the garbage. They give off fluorine which can kill birds. It slowly kills you too btw.

do not Use windex, pinesol, etc cleaning products (at all if possible) and if you must use them, use in an extremely well ventilated area and nowhere near your bird.

do not Cook without using your extractor hood and having goo:hug8:d ventilation. Even the smoke from overheated oil can hurt your bird

Do not put your bird in your kitchen or near the air that passes through your kitchen for the above reasons while cooking and until the air has been cleared. Definitely dont keep the bird's cage in the kitchen

do not smoke indoors. Do not smoke outdoors near an open window so the smoke can come back inside

do not burn incense, use fabreeze, use plug in air freshners, burn candles

Don't let your bird end up sick like my poor George.
I'm so sorry to hear that George became sick after boarding :( That would be so upsetting. I appreciate the reminder about Teflon pans, cooking smoke, candles, cleaning supplies etc. We used to use a fabreeze type item from time to time, but I understand we can't anymore. We also got a smaller cage that we can put her in when we vacuum in case dust is an issue.

I do worry about stuff from cooking because our kitchen has a pass-through into the living room where her main cage is. I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to get an air purifier for that area?