• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Look at Gigi's cage cover that I made!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She has that tricky cage with the scallops on the top. The cover has a flap in the front so I can peek in and take it off and on easily. I'm pretty excited I figured it out! Gigi didn't seem to mind how many times I put it on and took it off to take measurements. She's in there right now. :)
1708275065443.png

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh wow! That's absolutely gorgeous,you did an amazing job on it.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
That’s amazing absolutely love the pattern

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I have that same cage shape and have often thought about making my own cage cover but I don’t have a sewing machine- it looks so great!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Very neat

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks everyone!

I love the fabric too. It's called Birds of Norway. :heart:

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Very Nice!!

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
She has that tricky cage with the scallops on the top. The cover has a flap in the front so I can peek in and take it off and on easily. I'm pretty excited I figured it out! Gigi didn't seem to mind how many times I put it on and took it off to take measurements. She's in there right now. :)
View attachment 442769
Pretty nice but , where are the air vents?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Very nice.

@Rebel unless the material is very heavy, goes to the floor or the room is very warm it wouldn't need vents. Fresh air will be able to go through the material under the edge and through the edges of the flap.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Wow that is fantastic! The fabric print is so lovely!

have often thought about making my own cage cover but I don’t have a sewing machine
You could sew by hand but it would take a while and may not be as strong as using a machine.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pretty nice but , where are the air vents?
The fabric is a very light weight poplin with space below the cover and in the front with the flap, but I could consider air vents. When I looked online at the cage covers made by manufacturers they did not have any. Hmm.

Rebel

The fabric is a very light weight poplin with space below the cover and in the front with the flap, but I could consider air vents. When I looked online at the cage covers made by manufacturers they did not have any. Hmm.
Please consider vents. It doest matter what manufacturers do. Im not trying to be rude but, have you ever tried sleeping with a very light bed sheet over your head? Sure you can breathe, but it not very enjoyable.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Most of us throw a sheet over the cage and that's that. The air will rise under the cover from below.

sleeping with a very light bed sheet over your head?
Not the same. Doing that there's no air coming in from under the sheet. Whereas over the cage, the air can get up from below.
Plus, we have much larger lungs.
Apples and oranges.

Rebel

Most of us throw a sheet over the cage and that's that. The air will rise under the cover from below.

Not the same. Doing that there's no air coming in from under the sheet. Whereas over the cage, the air can get up from below.
Plus, we have much larger lungs.
Apples and oranges.
For air to get in, there has to be somewhere for air to get out. I dont see the big deal of putting in vents. Better safe than sorry.
Youre right, we have bigger lungs. Bigger and more powerful. You just made my case.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I opened up the entire front flap, resting it on the big circle swing that hangs on the outside of the cage. It's still plenty dark in there especially up in the top corner that Gigi prefers. I'm thinking that a cover sheet has lots of spaces for air to flow but my style is more like a close fitting tent. @Rebel Thank you for the advice. I agree, better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

Rebel

I opened up the entire front flap, resting it on the big circle swing that hangs on the outside of the cage. It's still plenty dark in there especially up in the top corner that Gigi prefers. I'm thinking that a cover sheet has lots of spaces for air to flow but my style is more like a close fitting tent. @Rebel Thank you for the advice. I agree, better safe than sorry.
The cover you made truly is very nice. It fits perfectly. I wish i had the gumption to make custom covers for my cages. It just looks air tight. I hope I didn’t hurt your feelings or make you think less of your cover.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No worries @Rebel I appreciate all compliments and concerns! Despite having birds all my long life, I can't imagine all the mistakes I'd be making without the opinions and feedback from this community! Thanks!

And thanks so much for your comments @zoo mom and @Zara

Last edited: