• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Long time shredder, first time nester

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Oh no - I hope she gets this hormonal patch out of her system quickly. I'm sure it'll be tough to separate them as well :(

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
For anyone still paying attention, Luna gave up on her eggies several weeks ago. She was still being a hormonal little brat however, which made me super sad. I separated her and Anakin completely (no out time together), and she seems to have calmed down a lot. I can't trust her in my shirt (little beaks biting little bits HURTS), but she has come around to loving cuddles again and hanging out without attacking. We are now going through a big moult, which means extra cuddles so I can get her pin feathers for her. :heart:

Anakin is Anakin. I think he might be the world's chillest bird. Doesn't seem phased by the slightly less out time in the morning (they get an hour or so each before I head to work), and generally is just happy to be here.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yikes! I am glad she is calming down a little. :) Hen hormones in full swing are no fun! If Snerky feels cranky but still wants love, she lets me give her some scritches and then just grabs my finger and pushes me away when she’s done. I do as I’m told, lol! She hasn’t done eggs in something like 1.5 years.

Boo doesn’t lay anymore, and Neut has never in the nearly 3 years I’ve had her.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Yikes! I am glad she is calming down a little. :) Hen hormones in full swing are no fun! If Snerky feels cranky but still wants love, she lets me give her some scritches and then just grabs my finger and pushes me away when she’s done. I do as I’m told, lol! She hasn’t done eggs in something like 1.5 years.

Boo doesn’t lay anymore, and Neut has never in the nearly 3 years I’ve had her.
How old were they when they stopped?

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How old were they when they stopped?
Boo stopped maybe around 6-7 years old? She's 10 now. Snerky is somewhere around 6 years old now, I think, and this has been the longest she has gone without laying any eggs. I'm not sure she has stopped for good as she is still quite an energetic and robust little eel, but huge slow down.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Hormones last two to twelve weeks. Leave the nest, eggs, calcium sources, etc in the cage untouched by humans for at least twelve weeks to avoid relapse into hormone behaviors. Go along with the natural behaviors, despite having to deal with biting, huge poops and missing the attention of our loving brides. Let the hormones run their course instead of fighting them. Once they are done, they are gone and safe for another year. If you interfere, you just prolong the hormonal behaviors and mess up your bird's cycle. Trying to fight millions of years of hormonal behaviors is futile. Just let it happen and run its course and it is done quickly, quietly and easily.

It is useless to fight Mother Nature.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
It is useless to fight Mother Nature.
Sherbie gave egg laying a rest for about a month and a half I think, but has since started it up (5 in the nest + 14 fakes). Strangely, she has become a bit more social. She will leave her area and will fly to familiar faces (including ME). Huge surprise there, since I had been medicating her for ages and ages. She's started plucking a little more, but since she's got a condition that's not fixable, I'm just letting her do her thing. The cost for her medication was getting expensive, and was only a "bandaid" anyways.

I couldn't have said that better, Lois. Nature will do what she damn well pleases!