1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

lonely

Discussion in 'Highway to Heaven' started by whitewolf3307, 4/3/18.

1. whitewolf3307

whitewolf3307 Strolling the yard Avenue Veteran

Michelle
    My oldest bird has pass away a few months ago. I had got him a friend when I was no longer able to spend the time with him I once was. My little quacker that I still have has never cared for me and would always bite me when I came near. Now he is extra clingy. I can not pet him but he never gets off my head and loves to pull my hair out one by one *sigh*. I have been talking to him and giving him treats to help him but I work outside and am awake the most part he is sleeping. I have thought of getting another bird for him to be friends with but I really do not think he will get along with it. I have had other birds in the past and he would always try to hurt them. The only one he ever got alone with was the one I just lost. Any ideas to help him with his loss and to save my poor head is welcome.

SandraK likes this.
  2. Clueless

Clueless Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

So sorry for your loss.

3. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Michelle
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Although he might not be able to be caged with another bird, a second bird in a separate cage would be company for him. If you have the time and resources for a second bird.

Garet, cassiesdad, Chopper and 3 others like this.
  4. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    I am very sorry for your loss.

5. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Sorry for your loss. It will take time for your bird to grieve. Just give him love and attention.
    As you already know, he may or may not get along with another bird but wait a bit and then if you find a bird that you like take a chance on that.
    Maybe it will work out. If you do get another bird be sure to quarantine him/ her for at least 30-45 days.
    As for your head, you are the boss and you just need to remove him and give him a lot of toys to play with in his own play area.

Chopper and Lady Jane like this.
  6. WallyLoopey

WallyLoopey Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran Vendor

Kate
    I have a very agressive lorikeet male that I got to accept another bird..

If you go about it the right way it can be done. I think when you’re ready a new bird is the best thing you could do for your remaining bird.

Peachfaced likes this.
  7. Chopper

Chopper Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award

Mary lynn Snowman
    Sorry for you loss. You will know when the right time is to get a new bird but you won't know until you start the process.
    Go looking. You don't have to get one yet. But you must start the process.
    I believe that a lonely bird does need someone to chatter with while we are away from the home. So, another bird in a different cage can do that.

I have seven birds and maybe number eight sitting at the bird store. :D

camelotshadow likes this.
  8. Cynthia & Percy

Cynthia & Percy cockatoo mania Super Moderator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

cynthia
    I am so sorry for your loss

9. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    so sorry for your loss

10. Sarahmoluccan

Sarahmoluccan Rollerblading along the road Moderator Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award SuperHero

Sarah
    I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow:

11. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

:sorrow:

12. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Sandra
    I'm sorry for the loss of your older bird - what was he and what was his name? And what's your Quaker called?

I ask because as a newbie bird parent in 2006 I got a tiel companion for my Quaker, Kiwi (RIP). The flock grew, mainly tiels though I got Beni (gcc). Nobody shared a cage other than the tiels but they all got along. I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes weird friendships are formed.

13. Cynthia & Percy

Cynthia & Percy cockatoo mania Super Moderator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

cynthia

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)