• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

lonely

whitewolf3307

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
My oldest bird has pass away a few months ago. I had got him a friend when I was no longer able to spend the time with him I once was. My little quacker that I still have has never cared for me and would always bite me when I came near. Now he is extra clingy. I can not pet him but he never gets off my head and loves to pull my hair out one by one *sigh*. I have been talking to him and giving him treats to help him but I work outside and am awake the most part he is sleeping. I have thought of getting another bird for him to be friends with but I really do not think he will get along with it. I have had other birds in the past and he would always try to hurt them. The only one he ever got alone with was the one I just lost. Any ideas to help him with his loss and to save my poor head is welcome.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So sorry for your loss.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry for your loss. Although he might not be able to be caged with another bird, a second bird in a separate cage would be company for him. If you have the time and resources for a second bird.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry for your loss. It will take time for your bird to grieve. Just give him love and attention.
As you already know, he may or may not get along with another bird but wait a bit and then if you find a bird that you like take a chance on that.
Maybe it will work out. If you do get another bird be sure to quarantine him/ her for at least 30-45 days.
As for your head, you are the boss and you just need to remove him and give him a lot of toys to play with in his own play area.

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I have a very agressive lorikeet male that I got to accept another bird..

If you go about it the right way it can be done. I think when you’re ready a new bird is the best thing you could do for your remaining bird.

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Sorry for you loss. You will know when the right time is to get a new bird but you won't know until you start the process.
Go looking. You don't have to get one yet. But you must start the process.
I believe that a lonely bird does need someone to chatter with while we are away from the home. So, another bird in a different cage can do that.

I have seven birds and maybe number eight sitting at the bird store. :D

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am so sorry for your loss

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
so sorry for your loss

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'm sorry for the loss of your older bird - what was he and what was his name? And what's your Quaker called?

I ask because as a newbie bird parent in 2006 I got a tiel companion for my Quaker, Kiwi (RIP). The flock grew, mainly tiels though I got Beni (gcc). Nobody shared a cage other than the tiels but they all got along. I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes weird friendships are formed.