• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Loki....

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
What can I say about this new lovely bird ...she is beautiful and just a all around sweetheart ...I have had her for awhile now and she has fit right into our house ...She talks to Tyrion when he talks to her saying " Hi...Loki...what ya doing ..peak a bo .." and then they chatter back and forth in some sort of bird talk I dont understand and probably arent meant to ...She is taking to her new pellets but not to the fresh stuff she likes apples and grapes thats it ...I try every day to expand this but find new food left untouched ..so we keep trying ...I love having her around and she is trying to learn new words every day ....She makes me laugh with her calls and whistles ...I think she likes being with us ...because I know we love her..one thing though she doesnt play very much ..Im wondering if its just her age she is 11 yrs and Im comparing her to playful 1 1/2 yr old Tyrion who plays all the time... :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That's wonderful! I'm glad things are going so well. :)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm sure she is very happy to live with you! ♥
Great updates. :)

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
When I wake up Tyrion is saying "Goo morning Tyrion ..breakfast Tyrion .." Loki is saying in her sweet lil voice "Hi ..Hi "..and trying so hard to say breakfast as well ..it so cute ..then when I uncover her she has to do her morning call as loud as she can and then tries as hard as she can to repeat what Tyrion is saying while I get breakfast ready ...She waits on one side of the cage while I put in her fresh fruit and veggies which she doesnt eat then comes over and digs out her favs...She is such a sweetie:)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Have you tried pumpkin and pomegranate? Tis the season just once per year and they are loaded with nutrition.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She's fabulous! You'll get there with her, be patient and consistent...

GitaBooks

Checking out the neighborhood
What beautiful, sweet birds! She sounds very happy to have found such a wonderful home. : )

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Im waiting for poms to come to the stores I haven't seen any yet and she doesn't like the frozen ones ...haven't tried pumpkin so that is something Ill give a go ...I just keep putting different things in her dish and hope she will try it ...are there seasons I can try on her food to spice things up for her and for Tyrion as well cuz he's a picky brat too :D

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You can grate raw pumpkin and add it to a chop. So easy.

charlielove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
I am so happy for you! She was meant to be with you<3
That's such a beautiful thing isn't it

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Yeah I think she was totally meant to be with us ;)

hawkygal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Have you tried cooked carrots? We get the microwaved kind mixed in with other bird safe veggies. And i'm telling you what, hawkies love fresh cooked (but not hot) veggies! Get ready for some happy trills once your girl figures this out. Our guys LOVE LOVE LOVES those veggies, and the carrots more than anythings else but he does also love to eat the green beens in the mix. Not a fan of the peas which is good as they are not good for him, and try to limit any corn in the mix cause they will gobble that up to.

As far as the fresh stuff, he likes his kale as well. Being sure to leave some water drops on the leaves because he absolutely loves to lick the water off. After that he mostly likes to eat the stem more than the leaves but he will have a great time ripping the leaves off and out of his way LOL.

If you have any trouble getting her to try the veggies try fixing yourself a small portion of the veggies on a plate and eat them in front of her while she has hers available, chances are that she will give them a try but it may take a couple of days worth of modeling ;)

hawkygal

Avenue Veteran
Oh and make sure to get the carrots that are cut into round circle slices if that makes sense not the cubes ;) and also no baby carrots either ;)

hawkygal

Avenue Veteran
regarding playing, hawkies like to well i call it "hawk" they play with toys while lying on there back with there feet in the air, or hanging off of a toy from below it and flapping wildly while slapping it silly with there beak. So it may be a function of finding the right toys and space that allow for that.

for example baby loves this toy:
but i must note i had to make a few modifications to make it safe for my bird. The shoelaces at the bottom are dangerous, they used elastic and it tangles on the birds and can cause injury (i completely removed it). Also the hardware is nickel and so replacing it with stainless is safer to. I just wrapped the bottom empty o ring with polyrope and tied it off and that made it okay for our guy. your bird may be different. Anyway for our bird this is his buddy its up at his sleeping space and he snuggles up to it to sleep at night and chews the screws to feel like he's preening it. During the day or when he's all worked up he rolls on his back and attacks it with his feet or climbs on it and gives it a good thrashing which is usually followed by gurging for it afterwards LOL. It's called Ball of Nuts and Bolts, and is available at a number of places :)

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Ill try fresh cooked this week ...she is eating veggie bread I made ..but wont eat her sprouts at all ....I try a fruit day then a veggie day then a mixed day then all with sprouts in them and what Ill get is a 1/2 full dish in the afternoon ...but we keep trying ...Ill try eating with her and see how that turns out ..it never works with Tyrion ...he just tastes it and looks at you and says "What "....

As for her playing I have seen her do this a little bit hanging upside down and sort of laying on her back on her perch fighting one of her toys ...but she just likes to sit and chew on her stainless steel chain sometimes she will play with her bell ..she seems to be playing more and more but nothing like Tyrion ...should there be other perches like platform perches so she can lay on her back to play ...she gets out about 2-4 hours per day but still doesnt play much on her play stand ....maybe she is just s quiet bird :)

hawkygal

Avenue Veteran
Baby doesn't play with his toys as much when he's out on his playgym, mostly he forages and when he decides there just aren't as many goodies hidden as he wants he asks to go look out the window or he preens.

Our guy doesn't play all day or anything seems to be more when the mood strikes him or when he gets excited. He also likes to chew on the stainless stuff. Regarding the perches i don't know. We have a corner perch for our guy to play on but i think these days it gets in his way more that anything because of his really long tail. It means that he has to sleep leaning way forward. I tried to come up with some sort of out of the cage tray he could roll around on but what never able to find anything that worked for our space. A quiet bird, wow that sounds nice, if there quiet, healthy and happy woo hoo!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Well quiet as in sound now that another subject ..lol...her calls are anything but... .:wacky:

As in what she does in and out of her cage then yes she is ...even when she talks she has very soft tiny little voice ...so cute :heart:

How is your guy when he vocalizes ? And are there favorite people ? Loki seems to have made me her favorite ...:xflove: