• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Littlest big addition to the family!

alicat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ali
I don't see how this is any better. Screenshot_2016-03-28-16-05-27.png potatoes, peas, and beats are in the first 5

ETA I kind of like the ingredients in mine better even.
Screenshot_2016-03-28-16-09-01.png

Last edited:

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I have not belittled anything. I'm sorry that you feel the need to go on the defensive, but it's not warranted. I have very specifically and consciously not said anything negative about any brand or about you. I choose my words very carefully because this is a touchy subject where emotions run hot. People don't like to be told what they are doing is wrong. Tempers invariably flair and angry words fly from places of hurt feelings and stung pride.

I could choose to stay quiet. To turn a blind eye and go on with my day. It's certainly easier to not say the things that need to be said and so most people choose not to. But if I did that, who would speak up in my place? Who would be an advocate for the animals that don't have a choice or a voice?

I have no doubt that this puppy will be loved in your care, but what about the next puppy this guy chooses to produce because he was able to sell off this last batch? Will it be so lucky? Will it be sold at 4 weeks because someone who knows better chooses to continue the cycle? BYBs and puppy mills would not exist if there wasn't a market. I used to naively believe the market was people who didn't know any different mostly and then a small portion who just didn't care. After years in rescue and the dog world I now see it's actually mostly people who know what they're getting into but choose to justify and overlook.

I ask you this: read back over what has been written. If you are truly comfortable and confident in your choices why do my words that were never attacking or judging YOU bother you so much?

If you would like a Cane Corso from health and temperament tested parentage and lines and good breeders who stand behind their "product", guarantee support and placement for life, who don't ever place profits or convenience over the welfare of their dogs.....hit me up, I have connections and can get you into the right circles. The thing is you will have to wait, but I've always found the wait was so worth it knowing I was supporting responsible and reputable practices.

alicat

Real Name
Ali
sorry I did get a little defensive. I've been having an awful day and I don't like being told I'm wrong.
I just don't see what other option you offered, besides saying food is bad. the brand you recommended, based on the ingredients, seems worse than the brand I'm choosing. it's filled with things you can't even pronounce, which I don't want in my food so I wouldn't want it in my dogs.

I just don't see any information in your posts.
"don't go to a backyard breeder" okay, not a huge fan of it either. saw her on craigslist while we were looking for rescues, fell in love. she is alive and here, and I want to give her a home. I'm not worried about clean bloodlines, paperwork, etc. he offered to get us paperwork at an addition fee, we declined. she is just a companion dog, her lineage matters little to me. i dont need a piece of paper to tell me "my dogs better than yours". she won't be breeding.
her parents when we went back to visit were well behaved. she will be loved and trained and well socialized.
I do not need your "inner circle", I found my pup. she's not going anywhere, I'm not getting rid of her because of the opinion of someone on the internet. I think of dogs as family, not something fancy to show off. thanks though.

we checked the calcium/phosphorous ratio. we checked calcium, checked protein.
what other value do you have to say? because I still see very little. unless you have a better brand to recommend with less fillers.

ETA": sorry I'm still a bit pissy, and I apologize. But telling me to go to a different breeder, and saying dogs are allergic to chicken doesn't really help. the brand you recommended is full of fillers. you're just kind of saying information at me that I already know, but in a way that makes it seem like I dont.
We checked the protein percentages, calcium/phosphorous ratio, most of the ingredients are things I would personally eat (and not just one thing with a million names), and I know you oppose my choice to get her from a BYB. (she might be 7 weeks when we get her, not that that's much better).

do you have any other advice or brands to recommend? if so, thanks!

Last edited:

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I absolute get that pedigree and show quality aren't important (it's why I adopt mutts) but there is a lot more to it than that.

Health and inbreeding are major concerns and ones that a piece of paper often tell you very little about. That is the impression I get from Bartleby's posts and offers to try and find you a responsible breeder, not to get you some golden child dog you can brag about but to get you a healthy dog from an ethical breeder rather than a ??? dog from a possible dirtbag. It's the whole "then what else might that "breeder" be willing to compromise on in the interest of profit or convenience?" For example, just what is the long term health of that puppy really going to be? Does a breeder like that really care about the health of their animals? Usually no.
Finding a good breeder isn't about about having the most beautiful example of that breed but a hopefully healthy dog that won't have arthritis at a 1 1/2 years old, weak joints, a bad temperament as an adult, and die of cancer at age 5. Actually one of the major benefits to getting a purebred dog from a responsible breeder versus just rescuing/adopting a dog from a shelter or an unknown dude's yard is you get that history from the breeder who has been carefully selecting their breeding stock for temperament and health rather than two random members of that breed that can be used to print money.
That is all that was meant, as far as I can tell from an outside perspective.

Also, it's unclear whether you have the puppy yet or not and most of the advice seems to be coming from the standpoint you did not. From your last post, it looks like you do.
So don't assume anyone is telling you to get rid of a dog you already brought home, it was from the standpoint of you didn't yet have the pup.

And so you know, there is more than one brand of Dr. Tims. It's not a food I am very familiar with but given what Bartleby said on the subject of grain-free being not all that great in practice because of the peas, I can't really imagine they feed or recommend Dr. Tims grain-free.
Probably one of the better ones like Pursuit.

We all know your pup will be loved no matter where it comes from, no one is questioning that.
It just seems very alien to me how someone who seems to understand how iffy and unethical the breeder is then just go along with it and support the guy doing this.
I'm not judging or hating, just confused. You were in a position you were looking to adopt a dog, not support one of the major causes of an excess of dogs needing adopted.

I don't understand what happened to cause that shift, but I hope your new puppy turns out to be happy, healthy, and you have many wonderful years together.
:hug8:

alicat

Real Name
Ali
I absolute get that pedigree and show quality aren't important (it's why I adopt mutts) but there is a lot more to it than that.

Health and inbreeding are major concerns and ones that a piece of paper often tell you very little about. That is the impression I get from Bartleby's posts and offers to try and find you a responsible breeder, not to get you some golden child dog you can brag about but to get you a healthy dog from an ethical breeder rather than a ??? dog from a possible dirtbag. It's the whole "then what else might that "breeder" be willing to compromise on in the interest of profit or convenience?" For example, just what is the long term health of that puppy really going to be? Does a breeder like that really care about the health of their animals? Usually no.
Finding a good breeder isn't about about having the most beautiful example of that breed but a hopefully healthy dog that won't have arthritis at a 1 1/2 years old, weak joints, a bad temperament as an adult, and die of cancer at age 5. Actually one of the major benefits to getting a purebred dog from a responsible breeder versus just rescuing/adopting a dog from a shelter or an unknown dude's yard is you get that history from the breeder who has been carefully selecting their breeding stock for temperament and health rather than two random members of that breed that can be used to print money.
That is all that was meant, as far as I can tell from an outside perspective.

Also, it's unclear whether you have the puppy yet or not and most of the advice seems to be coming from the standpoint you did not. From your last post, it looks like you do.
So don't assume anyone is telling you to get rid of a dog you already brought home, it was from the standpoint of you didn't yet have the pup.

And so you know, there is more than one brand of Dr. Tims. It's not a food I am very familiar with but given what Bartleby said on the subject of grain-free being not all that great in practice because of the peas, I can't really imagine they feed or recommend Dr. Tims grain-free.
Probably one of the better ones like Pursuit.

We all know your pup will be loved no matter where it comes from, no one is questioning that.
It just seems very alien to me how someone who seems to understand how iffy and unethical the breeder is then just go along with it and support the guy doing this.
I'm not judging or hating, just confused. You were in a position you were looking to adopt a dog, not support one of the major causes of an excess of dogs needing adopted.

I don't understand what happened to cause that shift, but I hope your new puppy turns out to be happy, healthy, and you have many wonderful years together.
:hug8:
hmm
I'm very sorry that I'm coming across as so sassy today. She's not home with us yet, but will be in 2 days. We've visited her twice. I wanted to rescue, but my boyfriend was more concerned about the breed. he had a few in mind, and when we saw her we were just going to look. I even said we shouldn't get the first dog we go to see, we should visit a few. We held her and fell in love... since we've visited her it's more cemented in our minds. we've looked at pictures of her like every day, she's all we talk about, all her stuff is ready, he sends us pictures. I'll be very upset if she has health issues but I'm willing to work for her. I tend to get strong attachments when I've made my mind, and she's already very loved and I couldn't abandon her. I didnt know much about backyard breeders before this, but now I do. but she has my heart and he has 80% of the money.. so telling me not to get her isn't really nice or helpful IMO.
It's a regret, yes.its kind of like that I got Piper from a pet store. I wouldn't do it again. I regret it. but I love her very much and wouldn't want a different tiel. But now I know better.

Looking at pursuit it's too high protein and has a lot of weird things I can't pronounce and again wouldn't feel comfortable unless I knew the purpose of them... it's a very long ingredient list! as many of them seem too. i know you're trying to be helpful and so sorry if this comes off as rude too (had an awful holiday, need a root canal my tooth hurts. I'm awful to be around today) but I don't see them as being much better than Fromms Heart Gold, IMO. But i didn't look into it more than that, so I don't really know.

Last edited:

alicat

Real Name
Ali
if someone made a post about getting their new Macaw and pictures, you wouldn't berate them and rant about pet stores and where they got them from... it would be "gorgeous!"

I don't see how this is different. I didnt ask for opinion on where I'm getting my dog, just excited to show pictures and asked for food brand advice from someone with a similar dog.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
if someone made a post about getting their new Macaw and pictures, you wouldn't berate them and rant about pet stores and where they got them from... it would be "gorgeous!"I don't see how this is different.

I didnt ask for opinion on where I'm getting my dog, just excited to show pictures and asked for food brand advice from someone with a similar dog.

I laughed. :lol:
I can absolutely guarantee you when someone makes a post saying they are going to get any bird from a pet store or unethical breeder (the bird equivalent to a 6 week old puppy being a bird that isn't fully weaned or even allowed to fledge) a bunch of us immediately jump in. With varying degrees of subtlety and politeness, try to direct them to a rescue or a good breeder.

Now if someone already has the animal it's different. Keep in mind the advice you got started before it was clear this was a done deal.
Regardless of how defensive you feel right now, I'm sure everyone still wants to see your baby. I know I want to see him, believe it or not.

And you got advice on a food brand, you just didn't like some of it. Disagreeing with information provided to you doesn't mean that person is judging you however, often trying to help but it's really hard to convey tone in text.
That also doesn't mean it's valid or invalid, I just recommend doing some informed research into what you've been told by everyone. I personally really like Dog Food Advisor for it's in-depth analysis of foods and Dog Food Analysis for it's high standards. Like Tims, I know very little about the food you've chosen and I'm not trying to suggest one is better than the other.

As for where, well, try to understand as much as it must feel like you are being targeted you aren't. It's not personal, people just want to stop other people from making a mistake, especially a mistake that hurts animals like supporting back yard breeding.
If it weren't already done, understand my perspective isn't "I would never do it again" but rather, why do it in the first place if you can avoid it? I do want to be extremely clear since it seems to be a sticking point of yours, the advice you received before your post earlier today was all from the perspective that this wasn't a done deal. People trying to steer you away from a bad breeder before it was too late, no one is telling you to dump this pup and start over. If it's done, it's done.

And since I get the impression it is already done, I do sincerely wish you and your pup the best. I know he will be happy, well cared for, and loved, I just hope he's healthy too.

alicat

Real Name
Ali
I give up. I just wanted to post pictures of her. I won't next time.

ETA thanks for the reference sites. made me feel better about my choice as well.

Last edited: