• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Little white feathers.

Big Laar

Moving in
Our Blue Headed Pionus, Gracie, is almost 5 months old now. She keeps shedding these little white fluffy feathers. They are all over the house. Anyone know what she might be doing. Are these baby feathers she is shedding? Is she moulting? Is she picking her feathers? Anyone have experience with this? Is it ok? Should I be worried?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
This is very normal and happens year round for the white down. The colored feathers follow more of a cycle often in the last spring and again in the fall sometimes heavier some seasons than others and usually if they lose a feather on one side of their body, they will shortly after lose the opposing feather on the other side to keep them aerodynamic. The feathers then grow in looking like a pincushion and they pick away the keratin sheath. Sometimes they get a little grumpy during this time as I am sure it is uncomfortable. If they are a single bird like mine, she appreciates when I try to break up the the pins on her head that she cannot reach. It leaves a little more dust during this time. If she is on my shoulder, it will look like dandruff. Very normal.

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
Farlie sheds those little tiny feathers all the time. When he shakes one loose he'll eyeball for 'hours'. :rofl: (He's 1 yo, BTW.)

Big Laar

Moving in
Thank you all, for your very helpful replies. I am a lot less worried now. Our previous Lorikeet had a plucked breast from the moment we got her and kept her breast nicely naked for the next 18 years. I'm glad what Gracie is doing is normal.