• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Little Scooter is very nutriberry motivated

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
He masters every new foraging toy I give him just to get at a nutriberry! I'll post pics tonight, but today he learned two new things. I wrapped up a nutriberry in a big collard leaf and tied it with paper rope. Made a little cut so he could see the nutriberry in there. So he ripped the leaf package open and got the prize. Also tied up one in a coffee filter and gave him a starting hole. No challenge for him, he is so persistent! Next time he will get these without holes.

Which of your birds are food motivated foragers?

Piccha

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
If I hide food in anything, Blaze shows intense motivation to make it happen. Food is her primary motivating factor, second is love :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo and Gizmo are the most food motivated around here. But, Jingo is lazy too :lol: I put pumpkin seeds in a thin cardboard box (one of those Caitec ones) and he decided he wasn't as interested after all :lol:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
He masters every new foraging toy I give him just to get at a nutriberry! I'll post pics tonight, but today he learned two new things. I wrapped up a nutriberry in a big collard leaf and tied it with paper rope. Made a little cut so he could see the nutriberry in there. So he ripped the leaf package open and got the prize. Also tied up one in a coffee filter and gave him a starting hole. No challenge for him, he is so persistent! Next time he will get these without holes.

Which of your birds are food motivated foragers?
Does he ever go back and eat the collard leaf? Just wondering, but he is amazing!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Tho
In-shell almonds. :) I double wrap an almond in those paper coin wrappers from the dollar store. I started with just one layer, and now we do two layers! Keeps Ruby quiet for a while :hehe:

Those things are thick and hard to forage! I've tried a couple times but my guys aren't ready. It doesn't help that my guys don't seem to be interested in almonds in the shell. :grumpy:

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Tho

Those things are thick and hard to forage! I've tried a couple times but my guys aren't ready. It doesn't help that my guys don't seem to be interested in almonds in the shell. :grumpy:

Hmm, surprised to hear that it's hard for a Grey? Ruby rips through layers of those in like 5-10 minutes. If she's feeling lazy, she dunks the whole thing in her water bowl and moistens the paper to make it easier to rip. :cool:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Tho

Blue Diamond has released some "thin shelled" almonds where they basically remove the outer part of the shell. They are made to be opened with one hand ( though I apparently suck at it) I give those to Jingo and Koopa who can't open the regular almond shells and they go over very well.

Gizmo needs no assistance. Just give her a few minutes :p

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue

Hmm, surprised to hear that it's hard for a Grey? Ruby rips through layers of those in like 5-10 minutes. If she's feeling lazy, she dunks the whole thing in her water bowl and moistens the paper to make it easier to rip. :cool:
Are you calling my bird a wuss? :wacky:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue

Blue Diamond has released some "thin shelled" almonds where they basically remove the outer part of the shell. They are made to be opened with one hand ( though I apparently suck at it) I give those to Jingo and Koopa who can't open the regular almond shells and they go over very well.

Gizmo needs no assistance. Just give her a few minutes :p
Interesting. I'll look for those. And knowing you, I don't need to ask, but no salt?

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Are you calling my bird a wuss? :wacky:

Of course not! :x3: But I am looking for the smallest in-shell almonds I can find, so that she'd get less almond meat for the same amount of work as a big one... that way, I can give her two a day instead of one and it'll keep her occupied longer!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Makes sense. I have one young'un and one rehome that has a few holes missing in his play and foraging muscles. I have a load of those coin sleeves and will keep trying!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Interesting. I'll look for those. And knowing you, I don't need to ask, but no salt?
Of course :). They do have some salted also, but they offer a "natural" unsalted version.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
S amantha is definitely the most food motivated.

SunUp

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
In-shell almonds. :) I double wrap an almond in those paper coin wrappers from the dollar store. I started with just one layer, and now we do two layers! Keeps Ruby quiet for a while :hehe:

I push a nutriberry down to the bottom of the tube so it shows, then hole puch about in the middle of the tube, and put these on a SS skewer. My TAG especially loves this....keeps her engaged for a long time.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I push a nutriberry down to the bottom of the tube so it shows, then hole puch about in the middle of the tube, and put these on a SS skewer. My TAG especially loves this....keeps her engaged for a long time.
That's a great idea.i just got some skewers recently. I'll try this! Thanks!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Zuri will do anything for an almond... ;)

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Kirby (Harlequin) is very food motivated, although sometimes the pine nut toys get tossed on the floor until he makes sure he's found the pistachios and Yogurt-covered almonds (he gets one or two in a foraging toy each day). He'll always go down and get the pine nut toys later. Zuni (M2) likes pine nuts, but sometimes he's lazy about foraging. Pooka (LSC2) likes pine nuts, almonds and pistachios, but it's mostly about taking apart the toy. Sophia (CAG) gets 2 yogurt almonds, and she'll work for them. Everything else gets tossed. Chico & Rocky are foraging challenged. It seems that they often don't realize there is food in the toys. I give them very easy, shreddable toys which they enjoy wrecking. Not one of my 6 birds likes Nutriberries. Isn't that weird?