• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Little Fatty

KatelynDeanne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Soo everytime my husband and I are eating something, especially chips, fries, snack foods that of course she cant have, she will come at us and fight us for the food. I feel bad not giving her any and by taking it away and am scared if i yank it from her or tell her no, this may affect our bonding. I dont want her assosciating me taking the food away, with when I try training her with treats, as I feel like this may confuse her. And guys this goes for everything. Ink pens, my phone, tablet, notebook, calculator, she is always after it and I cant just let her eat it. BUT her actual toys, she doesnt touch. Thats my luck! I did make her a vet appointment for next week and they are going to discuss with me some things but mostly just check her out and run test to make sure she is healthy and make sure thats not why shes being aggressive. Weve gotten to where she will step on a perch now but not hands anymore. Not even with the husband. Your basically lucky if it happens. I am actually quite nervous about the traumatic experience she may feel with going to the vet but I feel its time she goes. She needs her nails trimmed bad as well. Also, dont like what the previous owners would feed her.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Keep some toys by you and give them a much attention as the things she wants! She's interested because you're clearly interested.

As for food - eat healthy snacks around her that you can share :)

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Keep some toys by you and give them a much attention as the things she wants! She's interested because you're clearly interested.

As for food - eat healthy snacks around her that you can share :)
That makes sense! I'm like why would she want literally everything I am holding!? I'm trying to get her more into playing with toys. I wish there was some kind of healthy bird chips or something. She likes crunchy things but I am not giving her a ton of sunflower seeds and she can forget about peanuts. Lol!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I always have something to offer my 'too to eat if I'm eating something. They're flock animals. So they like to do what the flock is doing. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Trying to cheer her up before her FIRST vet appointment tommorow in 10 years, gonna be great. LOL

Ripley had his first visit in 19 years 2 months ago. They usually do surprisingly better than you expect ;)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you want her to play with her toys, try playing with her toys yourself. Get excited, show her how much fun it is, make a game of handing her things. Bird toys aren't so different from fidget spinners :)

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Well the first vet appointment was this morning. It went well. Shes healthy from what he says. Didnt do bloodwork because he said he didnt find it necessary right now. Fecal was normal. He wants me to put her on mostly harrisons pellets. He trimmed her nails and beak and she screamed like crazy but is back to herself. He gave me the number to an animal behavioralist to come to the house. What does that typically cost and do you think it will help?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sounds like a great first vet visit. So pleased to hear she is doing well.
I am not sure how much a behavioralist will cost you for a home visit but they should be able to answer all your questions about her behavior and give you techniques on how to make changes with her responses to you and your behavior towards her so that you can get the best out of each others company. The behavioralist should be able to help you learn how to fix anything you are having problems with. They are usually a great wealth of information on how to train or why certain things are happening. I think they could be of help to you if you are struggling with anything she does or does not do.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Sounds like a great first vet visit. So pleased to hear she is doing well.
I am not sure how much a behavioralist will cost you for a home visit but they should be able to answer all your questions about her behavior and give you techniques on how to make changes with her responses to you and your behavior towards her so that you can get the best out of each others company. The behavioralist should be able to help you learn how to fix anything you are having problems with. They are usually a great wealth of information on how to train or why certain things are happening. I think they could be of help to you if you are struggling with anything she does or does not do.
Yea I think I may save up some money to have him come to the house. He works with all kinds of animals. I tried calling the number today but no answer. He works at AUM college here in alabama. I would like to correct a lot of her behavior issues. The vet didnt know much about treating behavior issues other than me being the primary caretaker and just giving her time. As far as issues, she wont step up without lunging or biting almost every time. She will come over to you and steal things from your hands, either food or objects like pens, or whatever, and you have to tug of war with her to get it back and I dont know how to react because I dont know how to discipline that behavior and dont want to ruin our relationship. She also will occasionally walk around on the recliner if were sitting there and will walk over to either Chad or I and bite us for no reason, as well as the chair (brand new 500 dollar recliners) or bite my tablet or my phone. Even yesterday, she has discovered the robot vaccumm knows how to make it work (remote) so she went over to the remote and grabbed it and she turned it on! I heard it from the other room and ran in there and she had the remote in her hand like a person and was operating it! Its insane their intelligence. I also want to talk with him about the one person bonding situation and see if he has any suggestions to gear her to like both of us because like I have said in the past , my husband doesnt want her on him. He bought her for me, he likes her, just doesnt want much to do with her so yeahh... this all has been causing me so much stress. I am getting better though because shes showed interest in both of us lately, just him more. So hopefully with time that settles. But the the biting thing and needing her to step up is a must to have fixed.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I know with Burt that whenever he has picked up something I do not want him to have I offer him something he can have so I am not always ruining his fun. That way he learns what he can have and what he can not without there being a tug of war or an issue. Rather than saying no to him all the time I swap him for things that he can have and that has worked every time. Slowly he is showing less interest in the things I do not want him to have and tends to go to the options I have given him previously.
If you were always told you could not have something you would get annoyed or start to remove your interest from whoever was ruining your fun, if you were given something else to entertain yourself or play with you would not be so annoyed.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
I know with Burt that whenever he has picked up something I do not want him to have I offer him something he can have so I am not always ruining his fun. That way he learns what he can have and what he can not without there being a tug of war or an issue. Rather than saying no to him all the time I swap him for things that he can have and that has worked every time. Slowly he is showing less interest in the things I do not want him to have and tends to go to the options I have given him previously.
If you were always told you could not have something you would get annoyed or start to remove your interest from whoever was ruining your fun, if you were given something else to entertain yourself or play with you would not be so annoyed.
Yes! Thats what ive been doing most of the time. Like I leave little toys around and paper so I can just hand that to her instead. Also, she sleeps a lot just randomly. Even at the vet today, there was 4 people in the room talking and she just started sleeping. I asked him multiple times if this was normal and he said yes and if she starts falling over or something to be concerned and bring her back in, he wouldnt run any test or anything. Something just doesnt feel right to me about it. I also asked him about her sleep schedule we plan on starting with her sunday. She will be sleeping from 7am to 5pm during the daytime in a blacked out room and awake at night with me while Chad is at work. He said that is fine and just to provide her with some natural sun every now and then or give her a UVB bulb above her cage or whatever to provide the "sunlight". He said consistency is the key with her sleep. So that made me feel a million times better that he said it will be ok for her to sleep during the day and my household wont be torn apart from never seeing my husband. Although, he did say if things change with her or something to then make changes but it should be fine.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh that picture! She DOES luvs her cwackers! Bet you loved feeding those to her as well. Good luck with the behaviorist if you decide to go that route. Glad her vet checkup went well.