• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Listless lethargic cockatiel

hannacm

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Hanna
Hello,
My tiel, Bean (4 years old approx), is unwell. Yesterday (Saturday) he began showing signs of something being wrong. He was much more tired than he usually is and was listless. By the end of the day he was much worse. We were able to purchase Harrisons recovery formula and managed to get some down, but by the evening we were unsure whether he would survive the night. No vets open until Monday, I should add. Otherwise we would have gone immediately.

Today he has hardly eaten (have been attempting to feed him recovery formula but it hasn't gone well at all), has hardly drunk, has no energy and I am extremely worried. His poops are very liquidy and have become almost only urine (almost only white). He keeps trying to preen, around his vent in particular. I will be at the vets as soon as it opens tomorrow (have already phoned my employer and got the day off) but I need to keep him alive until then. Any tips to get him to eat?

We had weighed him a couple of weeks ago (as we do with all our birds, try to establish what is their normal weight) and he was 87 grams. Yesterday he had dropped to 73 grams and earlier today to 69 grams. He spends all of his time at the bottom of his cage (put him in a quarantine sick cage, keeping it warm) or snuggling with me, he doesn't have the energy to stay on a perch. Help!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Please take him to the vet.
It is good that he is quarantine. Keep him warm and try to offer water to him.
But definitely, I would take him to the vet ASAP.
Hope your little one gets better soon.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am sorry your bird is not well. Are you in an area where you have an Avian Vet? Or am emergency care Vet?

My suggestion to get somd electrolytes in to hydrate would be some coconut water, one that is just that, nothing else.

As for critical care, heat lamp for now but get to a Vet asap.

Prayers for healing, keep us updated.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about your 'tiel. Important to keep him warm. Cover cage on 3 sides. Put a heating pad under 1/2 of the cage if you can do that. If he isn't eating, make sure he is at least drinking. If he eats pellets you can moisten those to soften and then feed him. Pieces of apple and other fruits, veggies will provide him with a food source and also liquid. You can also purchase hand feeding formula and see if he will eat that. You can use a small spoon to hand feed. You can also use a small syringe but if you don't have experience doing that I wouldn't recommend it. You can get unflavored pedialyte and give him a little of that to hydrate him and provide him with electrolytes. You can also use some fruit juice such as organic unsweetened apple juice. If you can find organic baby food that does not have additives you can try giving him some of that.
If there is an emergency vet in your area then get him there ASAP. Hope he will be OK.
BTW, are you 100% sure this is a male. Do you feel any swelling around the vent area?

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Please check and see if there is an emergency vet near you. I hope Bean will be OK.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
You need to get to ER vet now

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I really hope you’re little one will be okay.