• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

List of Min. cage sizes by bird species.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I have old (1984) agriculture vet book the title is 1984 Yearbook of Agriculture Animal Health Livestock and Pets. you want to to hear their recommendations.
Cage Needs Breeder cage dimension are Length x Width x Height
Canaries: standard double breeder 18" x 10" x 10 1/2" if room permits 24" x 16" x 16". flights 6' x 3' x3' each flight cage hold 30 birds.
Cockatiels: single pet bird with clipped wings 24" x12" x18" untamed bird 4' x 2' x 2' with perches 6" from any side. breeding pair 4' x2' x3', young birds flight 6'x 3'x 3'per 100 birds
Cockatoo 4'x4'x8' with separate smaller cage for female during breeding season.
Conures: 4'x2'x4' minimum, 8'x4'x4' for flight
Finches: 2'x'2'x2' up 8'x3'x3' per 100 birds 1/4 inch wire
Fruit & Nectar Eaters: 8'x4'x4' larger birds 3'x2'x3'smaller birds
Lovebirds:2'x 2' square or 4'x4'x4' 3 pairs to a cage
Macaws: 6'x6' square ft and larger
Budgies 24"x14"x 8"
Australian parakeets: 4'x2'x4' up to4'x4'x4'
Parrots (CAG, TAG & Amazons)4'x3'x 4' minimum 8'x4'x4'
when I show this to Dr. Tony he just shook his head.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
after reading thru Takoda Aviary web site, I am not impressed with their whole ball of wax. birdie bread is made with Jiffy corn meal mix or Bisquik. nope

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
It's not really a good chart to go by, at least for some species. For example, it recommends the same cage size for both caiques and lovebirds - 18x18". That might be ok as a bare minimum for a lovebird but is much too small for a caique.

This site is a little bit better as it goes by the wingspan of each species:
Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages
This is a good list for cage sizes but nothing about bar spacing. I did a search for cage sizes & bar spacing. Maybe that is why this list didn't come up.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just wanted to add I wouldn't feel comfortable putting Ophelia in 3/4" bar spacing. The first link seems to assume painted conures are the same size as green cheeks, but their heads are quite a bit smaller. 3/4" bar spacing would be an incorrect recommendation for a painted conure.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Just wanted to add I wouldn't feel comfortable putting Ophelia in 3/4" bar spacing. The first link seems to assume painted conures are the same size as green cheeks, but their heads are quite a bit smaller. 3/4" bar spacing would be an incorrect recommendation for a painted conure.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with a green cheek in 3/4" either!

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Funny thing... I have Josie and BB in the 33x25" King's aluminum cage right now, and that has 3/4" bar spacing. Josie and BB are both on the chunkier side as far as pyrrhura conures go though, at around 80g each.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Funny thing... I have Josie and BB in the 33x25" King's aluminum cage right now, and that has 3/4" bar spacing. Josie and BB are both on the chunkier side as far as pyrrhura conures go though, at around 80g each.
Maybe the 3/4" is center to center and the aluminum bars are pretty thick so the actual opening between them could be 5/8" or smaller.
Thats a problem with cage bar spacing - some manufacturers measure the spacing as center to center and some measure the actual open space between bars.
I know my 75g GCC can squeeze her head through a 3/4" space (I did an experiment where I cut a slot in a piece of cardboard and showed her a treat - she had no problem squeezing her head through to grab the treat).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Ahh yeah, Koopa was 54g lol. So I think of them as itty bitties.