• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

List of Min. cage sizes by bird species.

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've seen these recommendations before, and I think the chart should be burned and redone. These minimums are in serious need of an update!

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
I've seen these recommendations before, and I think the chart should be burned and redone. These minimums are in serious need of an update!
I know larger is always better & it does say that at the bottom of the page.
I just thought it would be helpful to know not to go smaller than the min. size. Also I thought the bar spacing was helpful. That you usually can't find.
I thought this may be helpful for new bird owners.
I agree the cages need to be bigger.

They sold me a cage to small (not even the min. size) for my pionus when I bought him. I didn't know any better at the time. I have learned a lot in the past 15 years.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
It's not really a good chart to go by, at least for some species. For example, it recommends the same cage size for both caiques and lovebirds - 18x18". That might be ok as a bare minimum for a lovebird but is much too small for a caique.

This site is a little bit better as it goes by the wingspan of each species:
Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's not really a good chart to go by, at least for some species. For example, it recommends the same cage size for both caiques and lovebirds - 18x18". That might be ok as a bare minimum for a lovebird but is much too small for a caique.

This is the one I reference. Your bird should always be able to fully extend its wings in its home. It's unhealthy to not at least be able to stretch.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You know guys. ;)

Avian Avenue is one of the largest most active forums on the internet. For those of you that understand search engines, it indexes VERY well. ;)

Finding a detailed list of breeder bands used to be difficult, type in "parrot band info" and AA is now on the first page.

Point being, write a new minimum cage size chart. ;) Title the thread correctly and you can change the future for a bird. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You know guys. ;)

Avian Avenue is one of the largest most active forums on the internet. For those of you that understand search engines, it indexes VERY well. ;)

Finding a detailed list of breeder bands used to be difficult, type in "parrot band info" and AA is now on the first page.

Point being, write a new minimum cage size chart. ;) Title the thread correctly and you can change the future for a bird. :)

We could probably make one as a sticky on each of the different Species subforums, too, right?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am surprised at some of the sizing. For example,don't understand why minimum sizing for Goffin's is more than a YNA. My YNA is a lot larger than my Goffin's which is generally the case for these two species. I actually think the minimum should be about the same size for both of them and more like the size listed for the Goffin's.
Overall most of the minimal sizes seem too minimal.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am surprised at some of the sizing. For example,don't understand why minimum sizing for Goffin's is more than a YNA. My YNA is a lot larger than my Goffin's which is generally the case for these two species. I actually think the minimum should be about the same size for both of them and more like the size listed for the Goffin's.
Overall most of the minimal sizes seem too minimal.

The other link in this thread says that a YNA should have 48"x36" and a Goffins should have 40"x30" as their minimums. This is based on wingspan (28.5" and 26.5" respectively). I agree with you that the first linked makes no sense!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Hmm, I don't even think the 18x18 is okay for a lovie as it's the wrong shape and not large enough even as a minimum for such energetic little birds.

Lol, I didn't realize Macawnutz had already said this, but I agree - AA members should rewrite the chart and sticky it as a resource! :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

We could probably make one as a sticky on each of the different Species subforums, too, right?

We have so many stickies. :arghh::laugh: If you guys put a complete list together, we will find somewhere to stick it. :cautious: No... not there. :shy:

We probably even have a sticky to replace.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
icant imagine any smaller cages for my birds... I have multiple toys in each, and wouldnt have the space if the cages were smaller!
My p'let is in a flight cage. My conure is in a huge cage in not even sure the dimensions but my African grey lived in it before him (the bar spacing was border line- but hasn't been an issue). And I can stand in my zons cage and definitely have one arm outstretched, possibly both. Can't imagine smaller for any. But I also devote an entire room to my birds...

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Just a promo for Natural Inspirations Parrot Cages. The owner volunteers at a rescue I work with and is amazing with birds. Does a lot of advocacy and education in the Pittsburgh area.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am currently working on consolidating information into a text based format (vs the images they used) to make it more search friendly. :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I am currently working on consolidating information into a text based format (vs the images they used) to make it more search friendly. :)

Search friendly :) Try to get as many species names on there as possible.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Peppo

The other link in this thread says that a YNA should have 48"x36" and a Goffins should have 40"x30" as their minimums. This is based on wingspan (28.5" and 26.5" respectively). I agree with you that the first linked makes no sense!
Paco, my DYH, has a cage with interior dimensions of 48x34x60. If I could get bigger, I would. With toys, perches, etc I can't imagine smaller than this. He uses every square inch of it.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I sent first link to Dr. Barb and Dr. Tony. both sent me thumbs down for minimum sizes for cages. Dr. Tony version was why would you live in apt size bathroom when you could live in the entire house. he also add this the size of the cage only matters if the bird never comes out of the cage ever. most of our birds are allowed out of their cages daily.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I sent first link to Dr. Barb and Dr. Tony. both sent me thumbs down for minimum sizes for cages. Dr. Tony version was why would you live in apt size bathroom when you could live in the entire house. he also add this the size of the cage only matters if the bird never comes out of the cage ever. most of our birds are allowed out of their cages daily.
I agree - perhaps there should be recommended cage sizes based on how much a bird is out, as well. Maybe a chart showing a recommended size for birds who are caged most of the day (birds who are caged while their owners are at work), vs. birds who are out most of the day.
Of course birds that are out most of the day need just as much space devoted to them - they might not need as big a cage, but they would need a bigger out of cage play area to make up for it.