• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnies and lovebirds?

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Hi everyone, sorry if this is posted somewhere but I'm not finding it. I currently one lovebird (female) and am really considering getting two linnies. I'm completely entranced by the two males at my local parrot shop, one cobalt and one turquoise.

Does anyone have experience with this combination? I have no problem with the fact that they will be housed separately and not out of the cage at the same time. My main question is if my lovebird will freak out all day at them? My spare bedroom is turning into the bird room and there's plenty of room for their cages to be at least 4 feet apart from each other.

Thanks!

Leih

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Ugh I mistyped, I *own one lovebird.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Think it should be okay:) However, the lovebird could fly to them to attack them, or attack them while they land on her cage.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a linnie but she's an only bird so I don't know how she would react. I know that lovebirds and linnies are a bad match if they share a cage or have access to each other, as lovebirds are far more aggressive than linnies. But as you said, that's not your plan. I don't have any idea what would happen if they just share a room.

What I do know is that my linnie is the dearest bird. I've lived with many birds in the past and I couldn't recommend a species more highly. And cobalt and turquoise linnies are gorgeous. Keep us posted and be sure to enclose some pictures! Good luck with your decision!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I think I'd have to take some extra precautions, like constructing something out of chicken wire for when one is out. Although they will be heavily supervised. The thing is, I think linnies are likely a better fit for me and I'm feeling a bit like the lovebird is more than I bargained for! But, we'll see, and I'll definitely post pics in the linnie forum if I get them

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Could go either way, lovebirds can be little buttheads towards other species and I saw two linnies at a bird store gang up on this poor bourke and pretty much scalped her.

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
I had two linnies, a pair, at the same time as my female peach faced lovie. Puck and Jasper (my linnies) were really curious and gentle birds, but Tica always tried to land on their cage to harass them and consequently they ended up not being able to stand her either.

I think in your case separation is fine, mine tolerated each other with their cages standing next to one another, but just make sure you supervise them closely when they’re out. I never let them all out at the same time, but Tica wouldn’t have hesitated biting their toes to bleed if they landed on her cage after taking a round around the room, and she also loved starting fights (made a beeline to their cage on purpose to beak joust) so I ended up designating her out-of-cage time in a separate room.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Thanks for sharing your experience, Soleaux, they shouldnt be called love birds haha, bullies that they can be. I've heard female blue mask can be the most aggressive, and hearing your experience I have a better idea of what to expect. She may surprise me, but I doubt it. I'm trying to come up with something that I could use on one cage while the other is out. To Lowe's I go!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I'm happy to report that so far all is peaceful. My lovebird's cage can be right next to the linnies' and they watch each other a little bit, but I'm relieved Aoife isn't showing any aggression towards them, if anything she'll be playful in front of them! Not that I would let them comingle, though! She doesn't land on their cage either. I do wonder if she actually likes having them around or if I'm imagining it. I hope she likes the bird company!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's such good news all around! Maybe it helps that it's 2 docile to 1 spunky!