• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie vs Budgie

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
To get this straight, linnies are my first choice because they are quieter than budgies (other than the occasional contact call) and in my opinion a lot cuter. The fact that they like climbing over flying is also a good trait because I want to be able to do my homework and have my linnie stay with me so I can play with it and not chase it around the house. If I decide to take him/her outside (on a harness of course), there will also be a less chance of them getting away. The only cons for me are they're so hard to find/expensive (but that's only initially so it doesn't matter much in the long run) and their poop. To me though, the pros outweigh the cons by a whole lot.

Budgies are my second choice. They're kinda cute (not as much though), louder, messier (in the sense that they don't drop the food directly down, they fling it out of the cage). Even so, their lifespans are a lot shorter which is ideal since I'm still in school and they are SOOOO much easier to find.
The question is, which one is better for me?

(Yep another copy and paste) Here are things to consider:
~I live in a household of 6
~planning to put bird's cage in the living room where most action is (no direct sunlight or drafts)
~bird will have at least 2 hours of one on one playtime with me out of the cage every day (probably 3 or more on weekends)
~will be half-playing with the bird when doing homework and in the shower (does that count as one on one?) around 3 hours
~will let the bird out of the cage for the hours that I'm not at school once I gain their trust (which is typically around 5-7 hours in total including the one on one time depending on the day)
~made a list on Amazon for all supplies (if you need a picture of that I can put it up)

ALL THESE ARE GENERALIZATIONS please correct me if I got the wrong idea of something; this is something of a record for myself, like a list of pros and cons
Sorry if this is extremely miswritten, but it's the end of a long day for me.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Cday2

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cday2
Such a responsible potential bird owner. It’s going to be the one that tugs at your heart strings. As much time as you’ve put into this you will make the correct decision.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
If you get a budgie, you will still want a linnie. If you got linnies would you still want budgies? Go for exactly what you want, you and your future fids will be happier for it! You may have to research breeders who ship, and you may have to wait, but your bird/s will be unquestionably wanted and they will know it! ;)

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
Such a responsible potential bird owner. It’s going to be the one that tugs at your heart strings. As much time as you’ve put into this you will make the correct decision.
Thanks for the advice!:)
Re read this....
Don´t buy a budgie.
Go for the bird you really want or you will be subconciously comparing them in your head.

Thank you for the advice as well!:)

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
If you get a budgie, you will still want a linnie. If you got linnies would you still want budgies? Go for exactly what you want, you and your future fids will be happier for it! You may have to research breeders who ship, and you may have to wait, but your bird/s will be unquestionably wanted and they will know it! ;)
Thanks for the insight! I’ll keep it in mind.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Get a linnie. They are such great birds and sound like they would work well for your situation. Although I do have to say that my linnies love to fly and frequently fly all around the house together while contact calling one another. It's not a big deal for me, they mostly just go from cage to cage (they like to visit one another) and to us and back. When they're young linnies usually are a lot more active and playful than their reputation would have you believe, but when they get a little older they are usually content to just chill on your shoulder for hours while you do homework or whatever.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Where do you live? I know a lot of linnie breeders, many who ship.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Also, it's not even a contest: linnies are much messier than budgies.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
@Matto thanks for the insight! I’m located in NYC. I would prefer an older bird since I’ll be going to college down the road. Also, should I get a male or female? Females might have egg binding issues but males might get certain types of cancer as well. It might be more common since they are older birds too.

EDIT: I’ve contacted several people on Hoobly since I can’t find them anywhere else. Still waiting for responses. I also tried AmericanListed but it’s a really sketchy site and I keep getting pop ups on free gift cards, I think it’s better to stay away. (Most ads are also over 2 months old so I haven’t gotten any responses.) The Finch Farm currently doesn’t have any linnies but they said they’ll be getting them later this year. Do you have any other ideas?

Last edited:

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Check out these breeders: Breeders - Lineolated Parakeet Society
Many of them have older birds as well if you ask. Featherbelle Aviary is great. IMO, there is no real difference between male and female in terms of personality.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
Check out these breeders: Breeders - Lineolated Parakeet Society
Many of them have older birds as well if you ask. Featherbelle Aviary is great. IMO, there is no real difference between male and female in terms of personality.
Does Featherbelle Aviary have a direct website? I contacted most of those breeders before, they were really nice but some don’t have linnies anymore.

EDIT: I don’t have a instagram or a facebook account

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
So, I emailed her last night and I got her response. She said that she currently doesn't have any linnies and that the linnies I want (an older, turquoise, male) would be really hard to find which is true. So, I guess I have to find another breeder. Thanks for the suggestion though!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Go and meet some of both! See who you click with. You never know what little cutie will catch your eye!

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, an older, turquoise male linnie is very specific and considering that they are already rare...
I think that you should maybe hold off on getting a bird until you finish college or at least have your own place.