• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie vs. Bourke

Roseicollis

Meeting neighbors
How does a lineolated parakeet's personality compare to that of a bourke's?

I'm researching to get a pair of small birds in the future. The personalities of cockatiels sound awesome, the only issue is that a few members of my family have mild allergies/asthma and I wouldn't want to bother them with all that dust.

I'm looking for a bird that isn't too nippy or clingy, and will be happy with sitting on my shoulder while I work. The issue with a bird my family's owned in the past is that while I was home often, most of the time I'm working on a computer and that means I couldn't spend time with him (because he got super aggressive/bitey whenever there was a keyboard around.)

While the bourke seems to be what I'm looking for (being a calm, quiet, shoulder bird), I'm also in love with the look of the linnie and their endearing oddness. I also really want to load up a bird cage with a bunch of toys, but bourkes don't seem to be big on toys/chewing in general. Do linnies play with toys more? Do they have a tendency to be territorial or aggressive? Do they chew a lot? Are they hyperactive like a lovie or are they content with just sitting and preening hair?

To sum it up, which best fits the following?:
  • not needy/clingy (either way, will be kept in a pair)
  • calm enough to be content with sitting on a shoulder for a decent length of time
  • not nippy/aggressive/cage-territorial
  • not hyperactive
All responses are appreciated (the more the merrier!) and thanks in advance!

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I've never had either but my understanding is that bourke's aren't really "hands on" birds.

@Lady Jane ?

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I've never owned a bourke, but I think a linnie would be a very good fit.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You are a rare person that wants a bird that is not clingy. Most want one they can cuddle with. I have had Linnies before and if you get two of them they will be fine. My linnies were male and female. Got the male first so a bond was established and then the female. They have a rep to not like hands much and that was true of the pair I had. Personalities are delightful and they ate most everything fed to them with gusto. They love to climb and play. One other thing about Linnies is that they love to borough into soft things like cushions and pillows so when they are out of the cage they need supervision and one must be careful when you sit down. More than one Linnies has be sat on and injured. I do not know the other species of parakeet you mentioned.

Roseicollis

Meeting neighbors
I appreciate all the replies! Is it common for linnies to be aggressive/territorial when kept in pairs?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have not experienced any aggressiveness or read about this from anyone concerning linnies. How are you defining aggressiveness?

Roseicollis

Meeting neighbors
I have not experienced any aggressiveness or read about this from anyone concerning linnies. How are you defining aggressiveness?
My old bird was very possessive/aggressive over my keyboard (pulling off the keys and nipping at fingers), which is something even more important now because typing is heavily involved in my field of work. Essentially, I just want a bird that I can actually spend time with while I'm working.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
My linnie loved nothing more than to sit on my shoulder for hours.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Mine were as long as my hands were not going after them. I perched trained them both instead of the step up on to your hand. Not all linnies have hand shyness. You will find several breeders located in southern Pa. There is a list of breeders on the linnie web page. Will try to get you a link.

About Lineolated Parakeet Society scroll down under About LPS and you will find breeders. This is how I got mine. There are very few Linnies for re home.

I never had a problem with "the terrible twos" that I read about.

Last edited:

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I've actually been thinking about breeding linnies because they're so wonderful but hard to find.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The reputable Linnie breeders are well educated in the art and skill of breeding these birds so that they remain the green, natural color and are not infiltrated by genes of different colors. If you are not experienced in genetics I respectfully suggest you do not breed them.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Yes, I've learned some about that as I've been in contact with several breeders. Don't worry, I do my homework before I do anything of this sort.

LunaTheBourke

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Luana
My bourke is super content with sitting on my shouder for hours! She flies over and just watches my hands typing,writing or drawing.
Bourkes are pretty quiet and not territorial. Luna has never bitten me, if she is annoyed she will just nip at the air but will never actually do anything.

Good luck iwth your decission!

:rosbor:

lynne5

Sitting on the front steps
My bourke is super content with sitting on my shouder for hours! She flies over and just watches my hands typing,writing or drawing.
Bourkes are pretty quiet and not territorial. Luna has never bitten me, if she is annoyed she will just nip at the air but will never actually do anything.

Good luck iwth your decission!

:rosbor:
That is good to hear! @Roseicollis, I hope you don't mind if I ask a related question.
@LunaTheBourke, what cage do you use for Luna? (I will be adopting a Bourke soon). A link would be great. Thank you!

LunaTheBourke

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Luana
That is good to hear! @Roseicollis, I hope you don't mind if I ask a related question.
@LunaTheBourke, what cage do you use for Luna? (I will be adopting a Bourke soon). A link would be great. Thank you!
I got my cage second hand but I could find it on amazon. I leave the cage open all day until its time for her to sleep, although she is a bit of a nigth owl.

https://www.amazon.de/Vogelkäfig-Ny...36&sr=1-84&keywords=vogel+käfig+wellensittich

I wish you lots of luck with your new Bourke!!
:rosbor::bourkes1: