• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

LInnie Puffed Up After Switching Foods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duncan13

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Duncan
Update: This morning, Milo looked much better than the night before, and he also finished all his food from the food bowl. I am still closely monitoring him though, but I have not witnessed any puffing up or anything of that sort since last night. I also weighed him again, and miraculously, he is now weighing 52g, a HUGE jump from yesterday's 46g I believe. Either the scale is broken, or he really did gain all that weight in one night. Is that possible?

Since he is not showing any more signs of sickness, I see no need to take him to the vet right away, but I have contacted PAW (thanks JAM for the link), and they do treat birds to some extent, although they don't seem to have a huge amount of experience. Thank you everybody who helped and gave me advice, everyone's posts aided me greatly. Thanks again!

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Please be careful. Birds are prey animals and mask their illnesses VERY well. If there's a vet available it might be good to take him in for your own peace of mind as well as his health.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Well, it's best to weigh them first thing in the morning before they eat anything for comparisons. Try that every morning to monitor his weight. I'd still see if some vet can do an exam. Sometimes you can tell just by looking at the throat that a bird has an infection, or even looking at what comes out from a sinus flush. Even the poop can give an indication.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
Update: This morning, Milo looked much better than the night before, and he also finished all his food from the food bowl. I am still closely monitoring him though, but I have not witnessed any puffing up or anything of that sort since last night. I also weighed him again, and miraculously, he is now weighing 52g, a HUGE jump from yesterday's 46g I believe. Either the scale is broken, or he really did gain all that weight in one night. Is that possible?

Since he is not showing any more signs of sickness, I see no need to take him to the vet right away, but I have contacted PAW (thanks JAM for the link), and they do treat birds to some extent, although they don't seem to have a huge amount of experience. Thank you everybody who helped and gave me advice, everyone's posts aided me greatly. Thanks again!
Glad to hear it!:dance4:

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm glad the links helped Duncan. :)

It would be preferable if you could take lil Milo down for a check up just in case, however, you can see him visually as opposed to us. Just be aware that as many have mentioned, birds are able to mask their illness so well it's not funny and sometimes by the time they reveal symptoms it is too late and they are too far gone.
I don't want to preach to you, but sadly I am talking from experience as that happened to me and the vet did try to reassure me that more than likely my first little baby lorikeet had tried to look as well as possible for too long and then finally succumbed to the crop infection, so I am paranoid with our current flock and prefer to err on the side of safety when something seems out of the ordinary.

All the best for Milo and hopefully this is the turnaround for him, keep him on what he loves best, what you were feeding him to start with. :)

zuzanqa

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zuz
I´m glad to here Milo is better!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.