1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie Help

Discussion in 'Linnie Landing' started by TDF2, 1/9/19.

1. TDF2

TDF2 Moving in

linnie help boy or girl? I have the option of getting a linnie, I can’t find much info on the difference in the sexes, please help, I have a 12 year old conure that I rescued he’s really shy and quite, he stays out of his cage 90% of the time only in his cage to sleep, my son wanted a bird that he could bond with, and in his room, conures can be feisty so I herd that the linnie’s would be a good choice for him, he’s 10 and quite himself, another option is the pionus But hard to find, I’m in Dallas, the teils are out because of the dander, any suggestions? Any difference in femal or male? Do they cuddle?

2. Jas

Jas Rollerblading along the road

Jasmine
    I believe @Dona has a linnie (sorry if I got that wrong).

Just some general advice, just because you get it doesn't mean it will bond with your son,even if he's the main care giver. The bird may pick you, the conure, or another household member.

If you want a cuddly bird, don't get a bird. They aren't cuddly animals, something like Cat or dog would be better if you're looking for cuddly animals.

Also if you do get another bird make sure that the conure cannot grab hold of the new bird. My experience with conures is that they can be bullies and won't mind a toe for some protein. So if they are in the same room and the other bird is out I would strongly advice you to cover the cage or take the new bird out the room. With exceptions the conure might be just fine.

BirdField likes this.
  3. TDF2

TDF2 Moving in

Hello! I’m aware of those points, my conure has his own room, my new bird will have his or her own space, I’m new to linnie’s, we have been foster parents to sever other birds in the past, we kept Buddy our conure, we never seen a more sweet conure before him, our avian vet agreed, she wanted him and her staff we are so lucky to have him. We don’t want a cockatoo no offense lovely birds, we want a bird that is independent but also likes to hang out, if it was up to me I would have a whole house full. I’m just wondering and difference between female and male in personality?

4. TDF2

TDF2 Moving in

Any thought and help, I would appreciate it, also thoughts on Lutino linnie’s? I have read not to get them and others say it’s false, I’m sure it has a lot to do with the breader, but it don’t hurt to ask. Sorry full of questions.

5. Jas

Jas Rollerblading along the road

Jasmine
    I believe its more down to the individual then sex of the bird. Though females can lay eggs if given the right environment and can become egg bound if not fed the right food or has enough calcium.

But never had experience with a linnie so hopefully someone who has experience will share their knowledge

TDF2 likes this.
  6. TDF2

TDF2 Moving in

thank you

Jas likes this.
  7. Matto

Matto Sprinting down the street Vendor

Matt
    I raise linnies and have never noticed a big difference between males and females.

8. Matto

Matto Sprinting down the street Vendor

Matt
    Some cuddle, some don't. Overall they're not the most cuddly species.

TDF2 likes this.
  9. TDF2

TDF2 Moving in

Thank you!

10. Dona

Dona Rollerblading along the road

Dona
    Hi! I have a nearly 1 year old female linnie. I have no experience in differences in males and females. Gigi is not cuddly but lets me preen her pin feathers, laying flat on a towel on my lap. She also loves spending time on my shoulder. She has a great step up, away from the cage or play gym and will just hang out on my arm or finger. I have little grandchildren and Gigi loves when they visit. She spends lots of time on the floor of her cage, watching them down on their level. They carefully put their fingers in her cage, asking if they can touch her beak and cheek and she sweetly accommodates. It's hard to explain but Linnies love their people but aren't crazy about their hands.

I've never heard anything negative about lutino Linnies. They are in the green family and are hardy large Linnies. I originally had my deposit on a lutino but on pick up day someone canceled their deposit on a normal green. I had 2 lutinos and a normal green to choose from and I went home with my little green girl. I've always loved green parrots but I think the lutinos are so beautiful.

Good luck with your decision.

Ripshod likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)