• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie Help

TDF2

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Linnie help boy or girl? I have the option of getting a linnie, I can’t find much info on the difference in the sexes, please help, I have a 12 year old conure that I rescued he’s really shy and quite, he stays out of his cage 90% of the time only in his cage to sleep, my son wanted a bird that he could bond with, and in his room, conures can be feisty so I herd that the Linnie’s would be a good choice for him, he’s 10 and quite himself, another option is the pionus But hard to find, I’m in Dallas, the teils are out because of the dander, any suggestions? Any difference in femal or male? Do they cuddle?

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
I believe @Dona has a Linnie (sorry if I got that wrong).

Just some general advice, just because you get it doesn't mean it will bond with your son,even if he's the main care giver. The bird may pick you, the conure, or another household member.

If you want a cuddly bird, don't get a bird. They aren't cuddly animals, something like Cat or dog would be better if you're looking for cuddly animals.

Also if you do get another bird make sure that the conure cannot grab hold of the new bird. My experience with conures is that they can be bullies and won't mind a toe for some protein. So if they are in the same room and the other bird is out I would strongly advice you to cover the cage or take the new bird out the room. With exceptions the conure might be just fine.

TDF2

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hello! I’m aware of those points, my conure has his own room, my new bird will have his or her own space, I’m new to Linnie’s, we have been foster parents to sever other birds in the past, we kept Buddy our conure, we never seen a more sweet conure before him, our avian vet agreed, she wanted him and her staff we are so lucky to have him. We don’t want a cockatoo no offense lovely birds, we want a bird that is independent but also likes to hang out, if it was up to me I would have a whole house full. I’m just wondering and difference between female and male in personality?

TDF2

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Any thought and help, I would appreciate it, also thoughts on Lutino Linnie’s? I have read not to get them and others say it’s false, I’m sure it has a lot to do with the breader, but it don’t hurt to ask. Sorry full of questions.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
I believe its more down to the individual then sex of the bird. Though females can lay eggs if given the right environment and can become egg bound if not fed the right food or has enough calcium.

But never had experience with a Linnie so hopefully someone who has experience will share their knowledge

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I raise linnies and have never noticed a big difference between males and females.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Some cuddle, some don't. Overall they're not the most cuddly species.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi! I have a nearly 1 year old female Linnie. I have no experience in differences in males and females. Gigi is not cuddly but lets me preen her pin feathers, laying flat on a towel on my lap. She also loves spending time on my shoulder. She has a great step up, away from the cage or play gym and will just hang out on my arm or finger. I have little grandchildren and Gigi loves when they visit. She spends lots of time on the floor of her cage, watching them down on their level. They carefully put their fingers in her cage, asking if they can touch her beak and cheek and she sweetly accommodates. It's hard to explain but Linnies love their people but aren't crazy about their hands.

I've never heard anything negative about lutino Linnies. They are in the green family and are hardy large Linnies. I originally had my deposit on a lutino but on pick up day someone canceled their deposit on a normal green. I had 2 lutinos and a normal green to choose from and I went home with my little green girl. I've always loved green parrots but I think the lutinos are so beautiful.

Good luck with your decision.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So exciting! We will need pictures and all the deets!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Eek, what a cutie!!! The Lutinos look like they can't be real! Little works of art. I can't wait to hear all about how she is settling in. It's a small Linnie group here and I love hearing about others.

TDF2

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
She's very busy, I'm having a hard time getting her to eat anything other than her millet and seed that she's on, we have her eating with us, and she will eat a little of her fruit and peas, but not much, she always head back to her spray millet. She really enjoys being out of her cage, and is so 85% of the time, my family is home all different hours of the day, and each family member has her each time, my 88 your old grandmother is even crazy about her lol, she getting much love. Any suggestions on how to switch her over to pellets would be appreciated!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi was weaned on to Roudybush pellets and continues to eat and enjoy them all day. Honestly I wondered if she would ever try anything else. It took some time and now she eats warm soft food in the morning, usually preferring the peas and corn, then she has 2 Nutri-berries in the afternoon. I've never offered millet. Gigi has become more and more interested in new things as she has gotten older, like food and toys, so maybe your girl just needs some time.

How great that she is out and with family most of the day! Lucky birdie!

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
Any suggestions on how to switch her over to pellets would be appreciated!
When I got Dora, she was on a full sunflower diet, then onto a seed diet, and now she's on a pelleted diet, I switched her onto it by taking away her seeds during bedtime, so when she wakes up she would be ready to eat anything. Then I mixed warm water with some pellets to make a mash, then fed her the mash for a few mornings, just so she gets used to the flavor, then after a few days, I would switch the mash for pellets. I would remove the pellets and return the seeds in the afternoon so she doesn't starve. I also started treating them like treats and gave them to her during training as rewards. And finally, I used to eat them in front of her as if they were human food (they don't taste so bad, kinda like tasteless cereal.) I used all three methods and she switched over in a week or so! But it could take longer depending on the individual.

TDF2

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thank you so much! I was getting worried! I will let you know how it goes in a couple of days.

TDF2

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Sorry for all the questions, Do any of you guys provide a cozy hut? I ordered the seagrass tent off of amazon, my conure loves his soft hut, and never had a problem with it, same hut for 3 years. The breeder said she uses cozy huts, but I wanted to see how she would do, if she was going to be a chewer or not, she's all over the place, she's not afraid to explore thats for sure, we have to keep a close eye on her. lol We had her in her cage, we herd her call out so we went into the room she was looking out the window, the kids were coming home from school, she's something else lol.