• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Limping Society Finch

AFBates

Moving in
Hi there,

I have a year-old society finch, and a week ago I noticed him favoring one leg. He hurt that leg 10 months ago but made a full recovery, with the exception of sitting rather low and splayed. I isolated him for a few days so he'd rest a bit, but he still has trouble standing with the leg and gripping with that claw. He also has some flight issues, but I'm pretty sure this is because he can't take off properly, not because of wing damage. The problem isn't worsening, he's in good spirits (singing, preening, bright eyes) and eating/drinking just fine, but I wanted to know how common leg injuries like this are with society finches, whether I just be worried about internal damage (he shows no signs of infection that I can tell), and any tips on adjusting the cage set-up to be more limp-friendly.

Thanks!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Poor little guy, did he get it caught on something? They're little legs are so fragile, may be an injury all the way up into the hip/ pelvic area. They're so tiny that an X ray would need taken without an anesthetic,, too risky,,, hope he will be ok.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that your finch got injured and that he has continuing issues with his leg. Could have healed improperly. There could still be some pain. I've used Avi-vera on my sparrow's legs and also given him some tart cherry juice on his veggies. However, I have no experience with finches.
@finchly

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
As iawhoiam said, in all probability the leg never healed properly. It may also be that he's developed arthritis in his injured leg. As for making the cage "limp friendly," you can try to make sure that any perching surfaces - including the cage bottom - are non-slip. It will be easier for him to perch on surfaces that aren't slick. You may also want to try having perches of different diameters, so his feet aren't always in the same position when he perches. That should at least help slow the progression of arthritis, if any has developed, and he may be able to find a new favored perch that feels more comfortable to his injured leg.

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Hi I dont have finches but I do have a canary with one leg called Toffee. She is very well and flies better than ever. She relies on her wings. She can now outfly any of the others.

I have adapted her cage so she can rest on flat areas. Her roosting area is flat. My aim is to protect the good leg. On the roosting platform she has a lid from an egg box with soft kitchen roll. She uses the edges of the lid to rest up against when sleeping. It supports her. I changed her drinking dish to a low edged retile water dish. Again thinking of the good leg. She struggled with a higher sided water dish. Her seed dish has low edges too on another platform.

Platforms for roosting do however cause issues. Toffee was happy living with a cockbird but sadly I had to take him out. She sees her roost as a great egg laying area. She is now retired for her health and stopped thinking it is breeding season. Only another retired hen will now live with Toffee if need be.

I imagine that indeed your little finch has arthritis in its bad leg..so look after the good leg. Hope this helps and the pictures attached for ideas.

20180921_111012.jpg 20180921_111410.jpg 20180921_111429.jpg 20180921_110953.jpg 20180921_111021.jpg 20180921_111442-1.jpg 20180921_111446.jpg