• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lily rarely come out of cage

Max83

Walking the driveway
she's come out of cage spontaneously only one time. made me startled about that: she climbed to the door of her cage to my legs for reaching the floor, brave girl.

The other times she come out I trigg her with boiled eggs to the plate above the cage that I put down when she is on it...she likes being out it seems,she whistles and walk a lot when she's out...but never comes out spontaneously apart that time I said...do you think it's a matter of time and she'll eventually learn?

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Have you tried putting a perch just outside or her cage door and hanging a favorite toy or treat beside it? That may encourage her to come out too.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
From what I can tell, the Grey in question is a 35-ish year old rescue, that you've had only a couple of weeks?

If that's correct, honestly... the fact that she already came out on her own, and came to you when she did, is huge progress and worthy of celebration!

Most of my rescue birds I was ready to throw a party if they were willing to step up or let me touch them, in the safety of their own cage, in that amount of time. I never even tried inviting them to come out of their cage for at least a month, two if they were especially skittish.

If she's already made that much progress, she will definitely learn in time. Just be patient and keep up what you've been doing, and teach her that coming out of the cage means good things - yummy foods, favorite treats and toys, gentle scritches, whatever floats her particular boat. :heart: