• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lilo is being held hostage

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
Long story, but my new cockatiel Lilo is still being quarantined in an office at the bird store while they and their on-call avian vet treat her for an eye issue (see my previous thread). I thought it was pink eye, but their vet thinks she may have scratched it on something. My guess is she hurt herself while trying to climb in her new cage. The eye problem developed a week after I got her. The store tests all their birds for psittacosis and other diseases.

She is very clumsy, and they just keep all their young birds in fish tanks there with nothing to practice climbing, which I plan to bring up to them. She was three and a half months old (14 wks) when I got her, and I have tried keeping everything low to the ground, but she should be able to climb better for her age. (There are no other apparent physical issues or deformities.)

She is a very sweet, tame bird and I am getting antsy without her (my two older budgies aren't very tame, though I take steps to tame them regularly these days, also a long story). It's been a week, and they told me they'd like to keep her for another to make sure she's completely healed. One part of me thinks I should be patient and allow them to keep her as long as they feel necessary to make sure she is completely healthy before they send her home and allow her to continue to be monitored by their vet. Another part of me thinks I should ask them to let me take her home and continue giving her the medicine. I appreciate what they're doing (I plan to buy the worker a bottle of wine for all her efforts!), but I don't like being away from my new bird for so long, when I could be spending this time bonding with her and giving her cuddles. <3

Thanks for listening to me vent...I find myself posting on this site and fantasizing about my next bird purchase to pass the time--probably a GCC or a Peach-Fronted Conure. I think I'm going through birdie withdrawal. :wacky:

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Hopefully Lilo will be home soon!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I know it's so very hard to be away from Lilo...but your patience WILL be rewarded!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Young tiels can be clumsy. I see she is clipped so it does not help. Its best they treat her before you take her home. Waiting on a baby can seem like forever.

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
Hopefully Lilo will be home soon!
I know it's so very hard to be away from Lilo...but your patience WILL be rewarded!
Yes, I'm sure everything will be fine. I think I just needed to hear someone say it. Thanks! I'm okay now. :)

Young tiels can be clumsy. I see she is clipped so it does not help. Its best they treat her before you take her home. Waiting on a baby can seem like forever.
I think you're right. The clipped wings are probably affecting her balance as well. Yes, I'm trying to be patient, but she's just too cute!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope she comes home soon.

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
Lilo comes back home tomorrow after three weeks! About freakin' time :yes4:
Thanks for helping me get through the wait!

I visited her for a bit last week, and she sat on my shoulder for a while, but didn't seem to remember me right away and wasn't quite as affectionate or playful. So I'm a little nervous that our bond was interrupted, since she is a young bird and she is at a formative age I'm sure. Hopefully I'm overthinking and she will settle back in just fine. I'm just really hoping for a great companion bird. Unfortunately my older budgies are a quite skittish (they eat millet from my hand sometimes, that's about it). Fingers crossed everything works out for the best!