• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Lilac Crowned Amazon

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why is this your favorite species of Amazon? Is it because they are generally sweet and don't have the "hot" personalities of some other Amazons.
Pretty much. They sound like they have the kind of characteristics that I like - generally sweet, adaptable, easy to read in terms of mood, interactive - without the hotness. Basically more like a larger pionus than one of the hot three.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pretty much. They sound like they have the kind of characteristics that I like - generally sweet, adaptable, easy to read in terms of mood, interactive - without the hotness. Basically more like a larger pionus than one of the hot three.
I don't know about their personalities but I love the coloring of the St. Vincent Amazon. I wanted a Tucuman Amazon once but I don't remember why.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I've seen a Tucuman Amazon one time... it was in a pet store here. At one time they had a lot of birds in their store and they eventually quit buying birds to sell. I don't even know if they have any smaller birds any more. Years ago when I had my crimson babies for sale I had a guy contact me wanting to trade a five month old Vinaceous Amazon for two of my crimsons. Two amazons are enough for me.. I said no. He tried convincing me they have great personalities but still... no thanks. Two is really enough!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Like the coloring on the Vinaceous, too. They are not common as I'm sure you already know. Lola and Henry might have liked a new friend. :D BTW, do your 2 Amazons get along with one another? Mine don't. I think Casey wanted to be friends but Shannon just wanted to go after Casey and I know that he would have gotten hurt. Shannon is not kind towards other birds. :(

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Like the coloring on the Vinaceous, too. They are not common as I'm sure you already know. Lola and Henry might have liked a new friend. :D BTW, do your 2 Amazons get along with one another? Mine don't. I think Casey wanted to be friends but Shannon just wanted to go after Casey and I know that he would have gotten hurt. Shannon is not kind towards other birds. :(
Alright you... don't go stirring the pot ...o_O Lola and Henry don't want a new friend..:laugh: True, the Vinaceous is very uncommon. I think you also have to have a federal license to transport them over state lines. Lola and Henry share the same area. Their cages are about five feet apart. Once in a while Henry will wander over to Lola's cage if I forget to put my plexi block to keep him from walking over. He does have a fear of her biting him so he's pretty respectful of her space but will happily sit in one area on top. I've looked in on them and caught them touching beaks with trepidation but that's as far as it went. I will use a perch to "herd" him down off her cage and entice him back to his or I'll go to his cage and mess with his stuff and he'll come back on his own. He is actually VERY fearful of how he will climb back down off her cage without her coming after him but we always manage without incident. I've never wanted them to be buddies. I don't need him to be extra defensive as you know males can be about their hens. He would fly at me and defend her anyway if he thought I was doing anything to her. He will watch me scratch her head and not get upset though. Henry is much bigger than Lola and could hurt her if he wanted to .... fortunately he has never had the first inclination to do so... even during his raging hormonal times. He's been really good for the last two years but sure had his green pants in a tight knot today and tonight. I thought for sure he was going to come at me when I was changing papers. I gave him a wood block to destroy to keep him occupied. WHEW! He was nice when I put his cooked food in a cup holder for him and went to the perch I directed him at to avoid a bite. Even though the perch isn't but maybe 12 inches from where I'm putting the cup... he could have easily jumped on me. Food wins again!!!! He can make me sweat bullets sometimes!

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I'm not sure why I'm just now seeing this thread as I'm on here all the time haha. Someone should have tagged me! :wtf: anyways, I have an LCA named Sammy. She's a rehome, my very first Amazon and large parrot. I rescued her when I was 15 years old. She's become one of my best friends. She's so sweet, very gentle and calm. Not that noisy unless she wants me or wants attention. Sounds off sometimes but not often. She's older probably wild caught around 25 or so I would guess. doesn't like change much, she gets really anxious when I move stuff around in her cage.

She prefers it all the same, possibly because of her age, not quite sure. She will not let anyone else touch or handle her under any circumstances, she was most likely abused but most Amazons are one person birds. If I could, I'd have another Amazon as a friend for Sammy, but that's not in the cards now and I'd be scared it would ruin our bond which is just so special to me. Here's a shot of her from about 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I looked through my pictures to find my wild caught LCA from the 70's but none of them were good enough quality to really see the colors. Holly was my very first bird and was very sweet, but hard to compare to a hand fed baby. Anyway here's a picture that made me smile. I promise I was supervising.

Holly and Mitts.jpeg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Gen120 Sammy is beautiful. So sorry that she may have been abused. Sounds that she really loves you and vice versa.
@Dona Pretty LCA. They were importing lots of Amazons for many years until they banned importation in '92.
Thanks to both of you for sharing your experiences with your LCAs. I still think about the baby but I have to resist. There is a Ruppell's that I would consider getting but I have to resist that, too.

@Mockinbirdiva Henry sounds like Shannon. I have to be very careful when my hand is in her cage. Sometimes I need to redirect her to a toy or just throw a towel in the cage because then she will start playing with the towel and not go after my hand. When she and Casey were young we (myself and Shannon's original person) tried to let them play together and Shannon just wanted to attack Casey. Shannon is bigger than Casey and tends to be aggressive so I know that, if she had the opportunity, she would hurt him. On the other hand, I think Casey would like to be friends but because of the way Shannon is that is not going to happen.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How noisy and loud is an LCA compare to one of the smaller 'toos, such as a Bare-eyed or a Goffin's? Just curious.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Holly had her contact call moments but was generally pretty quiet. I don't have any experience with small cockatoos, but Holly was certainly far far quieter than a big 'too. But again, she was wild caught so very different than a hand fed baby.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Gen120 I think the older I get the more set in my ways I've become :giggle:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Gen120 Sammy is beautiful. So sorry that she may have been abused. Sounds that she really loves you and vice versa.
@Dona Pretty LCA. They were importing lots of Amazons for many years until they banned importation in '92.
Thanks to both of you for sharing your experiences with your LCAs. I still think about the baby but I have to resist. There is a Ruppell's that I would consider getting but I have to resist that, too.

@Mockinbirdiva Henry sounds like Shannon. I have to be very careful when my hand is in her cage. Sometimes I need to redirect her to a toy or just throw a towel in the cage because then she will start playing with the towel and not go after my hand. When she and Casey were young we (myself and Shannon's original person) tried to let them play together and Shannon just wanted to attack Casey. Shannon is bigger than Casey and tends to be aggressive so I know that, if she had the opportunity, she would hurt him. On the other hand, I think Casey would like to be friends but because of the way Shannon is that is not going to happen.

It's fortunate for me that Henry has no amorous feelings towards Lola. They are both standoffish towards each other and don't trust being touched. A couple days ago Henry was pretty charged up and was ready to jump off his cage to me. I was worried it would carry over to following days but he's back to being kind to me. As you know, amazons can turn on a dime, always unpredictable. My little Ruby can be a vicious bird towards her sister and would shred her or kill her if she has a chance. I do make Ruby stay with me when they are all out and occasionally let Ruby visit with Casey for some preen time. Even then, I have to keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't go after Scarlette or pull feathers out of Casey.. which she has done several times. That's the main reason I don't let her sit with him too often. Poor thing has such a complex when I look at her when she sits with him... freezes like a little statue, like a deer in headlights. She knows I'm vigilant about the feather pulling!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Are you offering some $$$? :laugh:
Perhaps the entire avenue can chime in:p Like a fund raising action:D Or we could do a tv show featuring life in Some of the craziest flocks of the avenue, that would be crazy entertaining!:D ‘I hate you, I love you-it’s a flock’s life’

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's fortunate for me that Henry has no amorous feelings towards Lola. They are both standoffish towards each other and don't trust being touched. A couple days ago Henry was pretty charged up and was ready to jump off his cage to me. I was worried it would carry over to following days but he's back to being kind to me. As you know, amazons can turn on a dime, always unpredictable. My little Ruby can be a vicious bird towards her sister and would shred her or kill her if she has a chance. I do make Ruby stay with me when they are all out and occasionally let Ruby visit with Casey for some preen time. Even then, I have to keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't go after Scarlette or pull feathers out of Casey.. which she has done several times. That's the main reason I don't let her sit with him too often. Poor thing has such a complex when I look at her when she sits with him... freezes like a little statue, like a deer in headlights. She knows I'm vigilant about the feather pulling!

When it comes to Shannon she is very predictable. I have been working with her more, lately, and she will at least let me pet her head a little in order to get a treat. Are your crimson-bellied conures all siblings? Sisters Sophie and Claudé can be very mean towards one another. They used to get along but the last time I tried to have them stay together Sophie got hurt. Walked out of the room for 1 min. and when I came back Sophie's cere was bleeding.

Perhaps the entire avenue can chime in:p Like a fund raising action:D Or we could do a tv show featuring life in Some of the craziest flocks of the avenue, that would be crazy entertaining!:D ‘I hate you, I love you-it’s a flock’s life’

LOL. Everyone could donate and we could buy a huge complex/compound where birds and bird parents could vacation together. Wouldn't that be nice? Meals would be catered and specialized according to the people's requests and the birds' needs and likes. I've actually been looking at some homes because the value of my place has increased but would have to move further than I want to get a decent place since the prices on most homes in my current area are very high. Moving to another state such as AZ or NV I could get a lot more for my $$. Everything is overpriced here.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
When it comes to Shannon she is very predictable. I have been working with her more, lately, and she will at least let me pet her head a little in order to get a treat. Are your crimson-bellied conures all siblings? Sisters Sophie and Claudé can be very mean towards one another. They used to get along but the last time I tried to have them stay together Sophie got hurt. Walked out of the room for 1 min. and when I came back Sophie's cere was bleeding.

Ruby and Scarlette are siblings. Casey and Rocket are unrelated as far as I know.. they came from different sellers but Rocket came from a breeder and I know Casey is a year or two older than Rocket but he also came from the same breeder but was sold to a store and then another store. He was given to me by the lady that bought him at the second store about 6 months after she bought him. I have no intentions of raising again so it doesn't matter if any of mine are related male to female wise. My original breeding pair had also come from the same breeders but that was back in 2006. Given the gene pool of what was originally imported I'm sure they have some tie in genes.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Have you gone UP yet? I have flight cages on top of flight cages. :smuggrin:
I've gone up. That's the only way we were able to have such a large flock.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin

LOL. Everyone could donate and we could buy a huge complex/compound where birds and bird parents could vacation together. Wouldn't that be nice? Meals would be catered and specialized according to the people's requests and the birds' needs and likes. I've actually been looking at some homes because the value of my place has increased but would have to move further than I want to get a decent place since the prices on most homes in my current area are very high. Moving to another state such as AZ or NV I could get a lot more for my $$. Everything is overpriced here.
That would be soooo awesome!
It sucks though that everything is overpriced. A real bummer when you find out your property increased in value, but all the others did as well. Who know though, Maybe one of these days the perfect home with a great price Will turn up!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've gone up. That's the only way we were able to have such a large flock.
Maybe I should have added cages vertically rather than horizontally. Did that at one point but then upgraded cages and couldn't stack. You need a few more birds to make that flock large. :D