• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lilac Bushes safe?

Mmedlar

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Melissa
Hello, I am new to owning a budgie. I wanted to know if lilac bushes (the limbs) are ok to use as perches for my budgie. I read lilac trees are safe but would like to make sure my bushes are safe as well. I have ordered some manzanita perches but they won’t be in for awhile and I have read that the dowel perches are not good for my budgies feet. We had him for a month now and I feel like I need to order him the proper perches to keep him healthy. Does anyone know if my lilac bush limbs are ok to use? It’s the only thing I have in my yard that would be safe. Thank you!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I believe there's not much difference in term of safety. What I could find they little difference. In this link they say this in their safe species section:
Lilac – Syringa vulgaris and related species
https://birdhism.com/blogs/news/common-bird-safe-house-plants

While I was trying to find more information I came across this site.
Lilacs: A Safe But Nutrient-Poor Food For Parrots – excel-medical.com

I'm not familiar with how reliable this site is but seems like decent. Here's a site talks safety for people and animals sadly not parrots thou.
Are Lilacs Poisonous | Plant Addicts

First paragraph
If you have heard that lilacs are poisonous, you have mistaken the bush for a plant called Persian lilac-also known as the Chinaberry tree (Melia azedarach). This plant does not grow in colder regions that are suitable for the common lila
I think this kind of thing can happen alot when plants can have similar common names but aren't closely related.

I'm had my own bird on a Lilac bush with no problems. He even took a little nibble 20230604_162655.jpg 20230604_162652.jpg 20230604_162709.jpg

Mmedlar

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Melissa
Thank you so much for the response. There are so many things that look like lilac bushes so it’s nice to be safe! Your bird is gorgeous!!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Thank you so much for the response. There are so many things that look like lilac bushes so it’s nice to be safe! Your bird is gorgeous!!
You're very welcome! Thankyou!