• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

light and training room

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I've just realized that I have a huge uninhabited attic I could use as a training room for Pichu. It is unfortunately not insulated so today will not be possible since we have one of our first hot days this Summer, it probably feels like an oven up there right now. But then, it gives me time to think things through and find a table to have training toys on.

The attic is bare, with beams on the top, my son's punchbag hanging from one of them in the middle of the room, and many boxes piled up on the sides, but basically, much room and wonderful opportunities to fly around.

However it is quite dark, with only one row of spotlights in the middle, which was enough for us until now, but leaves many dark corners (where Pichu won't be tempted to go explore places I can't find him..) and might not be enough for him to see obstacles if he wants to fly?

So I wondered if this is an OK place to train, or if I should replace the lamp with a bird lamp maybe? It is supposed to allow birds to see with their whole potential, so maybe that would be a good solution? What do you think?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

laracroft

Strolling the yard
How dark is it? How many obstacles are there? Maybe you could share pictures of it? From your description I'd say it sounds ok, but idk, I'd want to see it before giving my opinion.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Here you go.
I guess my concern is: if birdie lights are better for birds, ginving them the possibility to see with their whole potential, then "our" lights aren't good enough, and since there isn't any window and the light up there isn't that good, then I wondered if it would be safe, seen all those beams and dark corners.

20190725_222508.jpg

laracroft

Strolling the yard
See, I'm not sure what you're referring to with 'seeing to their full potential'... I thought they needed bird lights to help them absorb vitamins properly? Can someone more knowledgeable weigh in on this, or maybe we could take the question to the health forums? But I think the light is fine. It's enough to see and it's not like he'll be living there. The problem I see is, are those wires along the side of the ceiling? That could be dangerous. Also I would check those boxes, just to make sure there's nothing harmful or precariously perched that he could send tumbling.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The boxes are stable and he doesn't chew on wires. I don't intend on letting him there without supervision anyway.
This is what I was referring to about the UV and the full potential, but this is less confusing than what I first read and it seems my attic wouldn't be such an issue after all:

Ultraviolet Light
Ultraviolet light plays an important role in birds. UVA light is important because for birds, UVA rays are in their visual spectrum, meaning they can actually see UV light! By not providing UVA light, the birds will essentially be colorblind to this vital light.

This can contribute to problems such as feather plucking, mood swings, and will impair your bird’s mental well-being. UVB lighting is also very important to provide for birds. UVB light is necessary for the production of Vitamin D3 in the skin in both humans and animals such as birds. If Vitamin D3 is lacking, then low blood calcium levels can result, and the effects of this could mean an increased risk of seizures, an increased risk of reproductive problems such as egg laying, and lower bone density with an increased risk of fractures.

Birds can get exposed to broad spectrum UV lighting by two methods: natural sunlight, or with a broad spectrum UV light. Both work well, and you just need to figure out which is best for your bird.

laracroft

Strolling the yard
Huh. I'd never heard that first part before. What're you quoting?

Anyway, I'd say the attic looks like a good training space.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So I wondered if this is an OK place to train, or if I should replace the lamp with a bird lamp maybe? It is supposed to allow birds to see with their whole potential, so maybe that would be a good solution? What do you think?
Any place can be made to suit our purposes and that place is great. I would hang ropes between the rafters as landing stations.

Just brighten it up with some strategically placed LED lighting. You need more small lights where it's dark. Not one big light in the middle.

The stuff on the floor needs to be covered with a sheet/blanket/material for the safety factor. Easily trapped if they fall in there.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Huh. I'd never heard that first part before. What're you quoting?
The first medical stuff showing up on google :rolleyes: Importance Of Proper Lighting For Birds - I-20 Animal Medical Center

Any place can be made to suit our purposes and that place is great. I would hang ropes between the rafters as landing stations.

Just brighten it up with some strategically placed LED lighting. You need more small lights where it's dark. Not one big light in the middle.
The thing is, this is an old house and the electricity is from the 60's, there is only this light in the middle but no plugs, or maybe just one in the little room at the end of the attic, I'll have to check. I'm impatient to try it!!

Now that I look at the picture, I see what you meant @laracroft with the "wires" along the side, those are actually thick ropes, they were used to dry the laundry I suppose. There are newer thin ones on the other side of the room, both will do for nice landing spots then.
I thought you were referring to the wires going to the light, they are much thinner, on the other side of the "celling"

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
It's pretty mixed as some are pro, some say they're useless. It's really a personal decision and how far you want to go. I think @Mizzely has some good articles? And maybe @Ripshod?

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I just had a huge thread on lighting:
Lighting | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Best light is the one you get outside, and it is for free, but in the Winter it is nice to have some daylight inside since they can't go out, and windows do block the UV. I just received a new bulb for the budgies, since they have to be changed twice a year, and Pichu's arrived 2 days ago. Anyway, Im glad we settled on not needing a bird lamp in the attic for training sessions :) Those bulbs aren't cheap in the long run..

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
It's pretty mixed as some are pro, some say they're useless. It's really a personal decision and how far you want to go. I think @Mizzely has some good articles? And maybe @Ripshod?
Birds do needs those lights, my vet asked if Pichu had one when we were there yesterday.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The first medical stuff showing up on google :rolleyes: Importance Of Proper Lighting For Birds - I-20 Animal Medical Center

The thing is, this is an old house and the electricity is from the 60's, there is only this light in the middle but no plugs, or maybe just one in the little room at the end of the attic, I'll have to check. I'm impatient to try it!!

Now that I look at the picture, I see what you meant @laracroft with the "wires" along the side, those are actually thick ropes, they were used to dry the laundry I suppose. There are newer thin ones on the other side of the room, both will do for nice landing spots then.
I thought you were referring to the wires going to the light, they are much thinner, on the other side of the "celling"

This is why I suggested LED strip lighting. Super bright tiny little daylight temperature light. Very low power. You can run a long thin cable to any outlet with no worries. You can stick them up as easy as applying tape.

LED strip light - Wikipedia

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
This is why I suggested LED strip lighting. Super bright tiny little daylight temperature light. Very low power. You can run a long thin cable to any outlet with no worries. You can stick them up as easy as applying tape.

LED strip light - Wikipedia
Hmm, someone's gonna have to take a trip to IKEA.. :p

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Any progress on the room @Gribouille ? :)
Hi,
thanks for checking in, I've bought the LED for the landing stripe but that's about it... It has been too warm so we are training in the kitchen, I have to train him enough that I can either catch him or make him sit on my finger so we can go to the attic, and that's not in box yet... o_O

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Catch him?
The attic is not a part of my flat. I have to use the common stairs to go up there, and usually the windows are open, so yes, I have to secure him before we can go. So catch him, put him in the carrier, or have so much control that I know he won't fly away (in a harness for ex)... So the first part of the training will still have to take place down in my flat..