• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Life's playing tricks at me...

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
When Twitter died on March 15th, we were devastated and thought we would not take another parrotlet anytime soon. Our budgies have a better life without their resident bully but we missed him, our budgies are not tame and that's really not the same, although we are getting along well. We thought maybe we would take a new p'let by the end of the year, but a green one since Twitter was blue and we didn't want to replace him.

So one week-end at the beginning of June, I saw an ad with 2 blue parrotlets looking miserbale in a very small cage, it broke my heart... Until I found out that they were in that little cage only to take the picture for the ad, but usually lived in a voliere so they would not enjoy an indoor life. I dropped it, but the seed was sown and I had become a member of a parrot forum where I asked about p'lets... A breeder took contact, he had green rumped babies, 3 weeks old. However, he lives 6 to 7 hours from me and I had to wait until the babies were at least 8 week old, if not older since they had to eat on their own.

The plan was to take the 13h trip on the 19th this month. But yesterday my boss told me I couldn't get the 19th free after all since another collegue had asked for it a long time ago and there would be no one at work if I left. So maybe the week after...

About 22.00 yesterday, I get an alert from our Craig-list that there is a new ad for parrotlet to sell. I have a look, and get a shock... It is the lady who sold us Twitter 2 years ago. She has taken back in a couple of parrotlets from a lady who had had them for about a year. She had thought to let them free in her huge voliere but they didn't like it there, they are so tame that they only want to be with people, but she can't have them in her house because she has dogs and other birds... So she was looking for a new home for them.

This is Twitter's tame GREEN little brother... sent my way just a couple of weeks before I was supposed to drive for 13 hours to get an untame green rumped baby (exactly what we want) but well... This is 35kms instead of 700, and even if he is a pacific instead of a green rumped, it is just details in the end, so we just had to go and visit him, at least, to see what life wanted with me.
When we arrived, the lady took them out of the cage, the blue sister is so tame it's incredible, you can take her, roll her around, up and down, she is just happy and wants more! The green boy is absolutely gorgeous, with a shine of blue playing just under the green of his back and belly, and what's the first thing he did?? Jump on my head.. I was sold. I could take him on my finger, he was talking to me and had much to say, he let me stroke his head and neck, kiss him too. He is not as tame as his sister but tame enough, that's for sure. My boys were both in love and we decided to take him.
We are away for the day tomorrow so we'll pick him up on our way home. The cage is cleaned up and reorganised with a new set up, this is Pichu's cage and not Twitter's anymore. I also got in touch with his former owner who gave me a list of what he likes -he loves veggies!!!- so I went grocery shopping, I also got a 5kg bag with seed mix recommended by the breeder.

Here he is (pictures from the ad):

Pacific1.jpg Pacific2.jpg

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
He is my favourite colour parrotlet! Gorgeous!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
What a cutie. Congratulations.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's so cute!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm sooo glad I didn't take that trip to Oslo... today we were at an adventure park with my kids and a friend of them, it was only 1.5h driving but after one hour my eyes were glazing over already and I felt sooo tired... So we had the day climbing in trees and I had to drive back... same thing. I can't imagine how I would have managed 13 hours on my own!
We picked Pichu on the way home, with the breeder, 3 kids and me in the little bird house, it was quite crowded and Pichu got a little stressed. He flew straight to my head, well over the kids and out of reach to study who was causing all the fuss. He was also stressed in the car, spent the trip hanging highest in the carrier biting the label and the mesh. Once home, he took some time to crawl out but then we were making dinner and the kitchen is not big, so again, crowded with much happening and he saw the PIZZA!! He was on my son at once, crawling down his arm to get some... He has obviously tasted it before, but he was not allowed today, this boy is going to have a decent diet so he got a couple of sunflower seeds instead. It took some time to get him to visit his new cage and to settle down for the night. Much has happened in his life in a very short time and he must miss his sister, who has lived with him at the former owner and until now. Although they didn't seem to care much for each other, it is the first time he is alone.
He had a few words with Merlin through the doors and finally cooled down quite late. I'm exhausted myself after the driving and climbing, so I guess this is good night for us!
Thanks a lot for all your nice words!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
If you want to know what I REALLY think... I believe Twitter sent him to me so I can take good care of his little brother now that he is in need of a new, loving home, and he can take care of me in Twitter's place ;) :heart:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Awww he’s so adorable! Congratulations!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I adore green and blue together and your little one is one of the prettiest i have ever seen. Someone needs to make a signature and avitar with new bird.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I adore green and blue together and your little one is one of the prettiest i have ever seen. Someone needs to make a signature and avitar with new bird.
Thanks, I agree, he is very handsome! How do I make a signature?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Such a heart warming thread!❤
I know Twitter can´t be replaced but having his brother must bring some comfort or closeness. I know I would be sobbing like a baby just holding him!
Is this a sibling from the same clutch?
Pichu is just beautiful!

I believe Twitter sent him to me so I can take good care of his little brother now that he is in need of a new, loving home, and he can take care of me in Twitter's place ;) :heart:
I also believe this :)

How do I make a signature?
You can create your own and add it in your settings, or request that a member kindly make you one by posting a thread here;
Signature Street | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
You will then need to upload the image in your settings :)