• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Letting Your Intentions Be Known

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Thanks, that was very informative. I like to say touching bird when I run up to my guy and I did it a lot with Lurch who wasn't so keen on me or anything else when he first got here, in fact he was scared to death and quick to bite. I usually like to whistle or say their name when coming up to uncover them or just coming from a area he can't see me.
Lurch finally, after years, decided I was his chosen one and would fly after me if I left his area. Dobby has chosen my sister but still is OK with me,she is just his favorite and he flies after her the same way Lurch used to do to me so I work with him a bit so he at least thinks I'm OK and safe to hang out with and get treats from. In fact he finally decided my computer chair is OK to stay on and nap while I type. He's a very outgoing boy with great confidence in himself and a naughty boy streak, he loves to get into things.
I do think when they understand what your usually going to do that's when trust starts to build up as long as what you do is something nice for them most of the time. The few bad times get forgiven much faster once they realize your trustworthy and nice to them, the bad thing is quickly forgotten as we make up and move on after our squabbles.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
As I was watching her lifting the AG's wing I remembers how my AG very much disliked her wings even being touched.

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Great article. Telling your birds what you are doing before moving in creates a stronger trust between you and them. Always use the same words for what task you are doing and the birds will know what to expect and won't even flinch when your hands get near them. It also helps keep them calm when you have to do something loud, like vacuum. I will get my birds attention and say "it's going to be loud, guys" in the same tone of voice each time and when I turn it on, they don't even react.

I like the fact that this person asks permission from the bird before touching him. Birds are so smart!

Archie's Mum

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Emma
I have been using up or down when I need to bend down while Archie is on my shoulder. It stopped his flapping. I have to learn how to do the rest yet. This was super helpful.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Good to know the article helped you. Thanks for letting me know.