• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Letting you go, Lenny.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I'm sorry too, I lost Lurch when he escaped over sisters head as she came in with groceries after checking to make sure he was asleep and far from the door. I still renew his lost ad on Craigslist just in case but at this point he's probably left us or with a new family that doesn't care where their mystery parrot came from. I sure miss him too and hope wherever he is he's happy and chowing down on all the taco bell and junk food he wants. :sadhug:

Thank you. That was one of life's hard lessons.

I am so very sorry about you losing your feather baby, Lurch. You never know, I have read of people being reunited with their lost pets years after they went missing. He sounds like a real character.

Sun_conure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Penelope
I'm sorry too, I lost Lurch when he escaped over sisters head as she came in with groceries after checking to make sure he was asleep and far from the door. I still renew his lost ad on Craigslist just in case but at this point he's probably left us or with a new family that doesn't care where their mystery parrot came from. I sure miss him too and hope wherever he is he's happy and chowing down on all the taco bell and junk food he wants. :sadhug:
what type of birb was he

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
A grumpy Maximilian Pionus, a pretty big boy too.

Sun_conure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Penelope
Somebody asked the same thing, and sadly, no, I don't. In truth, he was a homely and scrawny little guy with feathers that were so purple they almost looked like mud. But he had a big personality.
Aww he musta been sooo cute !!

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
What a shame, man. So sorry for ya.
Was that a parakeet?

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
I do believe that birds have a soul. Maybe when you kept feeling he was still there his soul was watching over you because he was concerned about you. I do hope he is still alive and enjoying his freedom. Remembering all the good times you had with him will be the best. You have showed such a caring attitude to me so I am sure the Lenny could feel how much you loved him.

pawfectly

Walking the driveway
I could feel your pain as I read through your post. I cannot imagine the heartbreak of losing your bird. To never know what happened...

Wherever you are, I hope that you’re safe, loved for and happy, Lenny. :sad13:

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
@Sylvester I'm so very sorry for your loss. I think that in this difficult, hard situation you are showing great maturity. First in letting Lenny go. It must not be easy, since you don't know for sure what happened to him. It is very difficult to let go, but even more difficult to let go if you don't have a closure. You are giving the closure to yourself with this decision. It is a sign of maturity and first step to healing.
And second sign of maturity is telling your nephew that you saw Lenny and that he was happy. It would be very easy to blame the boy, to be angry with him and to tell him that because of him you lost your friend. But you chose otherwise and thanks to you your nephew will not be as traumatized as he could be. I really admire you for this. And for letting go.
From what you wrote I imagine Lenny as feisty, happy fellow who knows how to take care of himself. I really hope, and chose to think so, that Lenny is somewhere happy and playful.
I wish you all the strength and hope.
Sending good thoughts.:sadhug2:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I do believe that birds have a soul. Maybe when you kept feeling he was still there his soul was watching over you because he was concerned about you. I do hope he is still alive and enjoying his freedom. Remembering all the good times you had with him will be the best. You have showed such a caring attitude to me so I am sure the Lenny could feel how much you loved him.
Thank you, Simon, that is very nice of you to say such comforting words. I too believe that all animals have a soul and that one day we will see them again. And it will be like they never left.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I lost one ..my Petrie from a move in 2005. Petrie grew up with me. My partner, Eric, was moving in a large piece of furniture and didn't realise I was talking to Petrie. We just drove 3hours. I opened up the travel box and was talking to my poor tired bird. It was my first time moving in with Eric. I am still with him. Eric knew Petrie, but he didn't live with birds.

Petrie was afraid and flew out of the door. It was one of the most devestating things .. we looked for him for 4 hours. Asking every person ..knocking on every door...I kept whistling. Suddenly the whistle returned back, I heard him respond.

My heart raced. I saw him... The highest tree... The highest branch. He saw me.. he started our little song. We whistled it back and fourth. Petrie got excited.. start whistling more panicked. He released the branch he was flying to me. He was not flighted. (I was not as knowledgeable as I am now.) He tried to fly down to me. I knew he was hungry and scared. He was so happy to see me.. (geeze even writing this and I am tearing up after all this time.) He tried so hard. He flew over my head. He overshot. He flew into a thick forest.

It was such an emotional day..the excitement of the move. The fear of never seeing Petrie again... The joy of seeing him... The devastation when I watched him fly into the forest.

I made posters, I went to all the local animal shelters and pet shops. I hoped everyday. I looked longingly into the trees. Talked to neighbours....crashed a child's birthday party.

I never saw my sweet little one again. He was my best friend growing up. We were very bonded. He was a white face cockatiel. Such a sweetheart.

After all these years .. I still feel so saddened. It is just such a terrible thing.. not knowing. Not knowing if he was eaten.. not knowing if he was found. Maybe he ended up living a happy life.

Also Eric was really mad at himself ..for a long time. He is a very kind man. It was a stupid mistake. It was an easy mistake.

It is really hard not knowing. I like the idea that they find a kind warm soul, nice healthy food and a safe place to sleep. I can never know the reality. But that idea helps me. I also learned. I now work on recall training and encourage my birds to problem solve more. I also work on steep descent training.

Wind is surely different...but at least they have a stronger starting point if something ever happens again.

Our poor lost birdies:(

I really relate to how you feel.

Sun_conure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Penelope
I lost one ..my Petrie from a move in 2005. Petrie grew up with me. My partner, Eric, was moving in a large piece of furniture and didn't realise I was talking to Petrie. We just drove 3hours. I opened up the travel box and was talking to my poor tired bird. It was my first time moving in with Eric. I am still with him. Eric knew Petrie, but he didn't live with birds.

Petrie was afraid and flew out of the door. It was one of the most devestating things .. we looked for him for 4 hours. Asking every person ..knocking on every door...I kept whistling. Suddenly the whistle returned back, I heard him respond.

My heart raced. I saw him... The highest tree... The highest branch. He saw me.. he started our little song. We whistled it back and fourth. Petrie got excited.. start whistling more panicked. He released the branch he was flying to me. He was not flighted. (I was not as knowledgeable as I am now.) He tried to fly down to me. I knew he was hungry and scared. He was so happy to see me.. (geeze even writing this and I am tearing up after all this time.) He tried so hard. He flew over my head. He overshot. He flew into a thick forest.

It was such an emotional day..the excitement of the move. The fear of never seeing Petrie again... The joy of seeing him... The devastation when I watched him fly into the forest.

I made posters, I went to all the local animal shelters and pet shops. I hoped everyday. I looked longingly into the trees. Talked to neighbours....crashed a child's birthday party.

I never saw my sweet little one again. He was my best friend growing up. We were very bonded. He was a white face cockatiel. Such a sweetheart.

After all these years .. I still feel so saddened. It is just such a terrible thing.. not knowing. Not knowing if he was eaten.. not knowing if he was found. Maybe he ended up living a happy life.

Also Eric was really mad at himself ..for a long time. He is a very kind man. It was a stupid mistake. It was an easy mistake.

It is really hard not knowing. I like the idea that they find a kind warm soul, nice healthy food and a safe place to sleep. I can never know the reality. But that idea helps me. I also learned. I now work on recall training and encourage my birds to problem solve more. I also work on steep descent training.

Wind is surely different...but at least they have a stronger starting point if something ever happens again.

why do you make me cry

I CANT BELIEVE YOU ALMOST HAD HIM WHAT

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Same thing happened when I climbed the tree Lurch was in. He was so happy to see me and dropped his head for a scritch and I reached out and touched him, a crow flew by and he bolted away from me.:crycry::extremeanger:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
@Sylvester I'm so very sorry for your loss. I think that in this difficult, hard situation you are showing great maturity. First in letting Lenny go. It must not be easy, since you don't know for sure what happened to him. It is very difficult to let go, but even more difficult to let go if you don't have a closure. You are giving the closure to yourself with this decision. It is a sign of maturity and first step to healing.
And second sign of maturity is telling your nephew that you saw Lenny and that he was happy. It would be very easy to blame the boy, to be angry with him and to tell him that because of him you lost your friend. But you chose otherwise and thanks to you your nephew will not be as traumatized as he could be. I really admire you for this. And for letting go.
From what you wrote I imagine Lenny as feisty, happy fellow who knows how to take care of himself. I really hope, and chose to think so, that Lenny is somewhere happy and playful.
I wish you all the strength and hope.
Sending good thoughts.:sadhug2:

Thank you Imogena! Your message brightened my day.

I did not tell my nephew for a few reasons: Kids grow up and learn about tragedies soon enough, Lenny was my bird, and therefore, my responsibility, and it was truly an accident.

Sometimes, bad things just happen.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Same thing happened when I climbed the tree Lurch was in. He was so happy to see me and dropped his head for a scritch and I reached out and touched him, a crow flew by and he bolted away from me.:crycry::extremeanger:

Oh wow, and you never got him back? I am so sorry.

Sylvester

Hit the Road

I am so sorry. I don't know what happened to your beloved Petrie, but I do know that animals not only are found everyday, but they also posses a stronger survival instinct then we give them credit for. He could very well have made it on his own.

The important thing is, is that you never gave up looking for him, and more importantly, you never forgot him.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I could feel your pain as I read through your post. I cannot imagine the heartbreak of losing your bird. To never know what happened...

Wherever you are, I hope that you’re safe, loved for and happy, Lenny. :sad13:

Thank you, pawfectly. Not having closure is never easy, but I made my own ending in choosing to think that wherever Lenny is, he is happy.