• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

letting them out

emzymayzy

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
How long until i can let out my new cockatiels? its been 2 days now... They seem pretty chilled out today but still a very unsure of my hands they hiss at my hands... should i work on taming them first before letting them out and How adventurous are they when they come out for the first time... will i be able to get them back in. i dont think they would go any further than on the chair next to their cage or on top of it

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's really up to you and their comfort level. Can you try opening the cage door and see if they'll come out themselves? Can you let them out in a small room to work with them? The first time my tiel came out of his cage, he just hung out on top of this cage, until something startled him and he flew to the top of the cupboards. Luckily I coaxed him down with treats but you can't say for sure how they're going to react.

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
It's really up to you and their comfort level. Can you try opening the cage door and see if they'll come out themselves? Can you let them out in a small room to work with them? The first time my tiel came out of his cage, he just hung out on top of this cage, until something startled him and he flew to the top of the cupboards. Luckily I coaxed him down with treats but you can't say for sure how they're going to react.
yes i can open their cage and they can jump on to the chair but they cant fly the shop did clip their wings... they just this second have got very chatty and i think they go through a very loud hyper stage at the same time every day which i thinks got something to do when the pet shop shuts they get talkative and happier coz they dont have thousands of people staring at them its happened 3 days since they have come home...

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I agree with Michelle that food is a good motivator. Once you let them out and they are on the chair, why don't you hold some millet in your hand and let them come to you. Then they will think of you as the treat person.

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Michelle and Theresa have the right idea. if you leave the cage open, and create situations around you that are interesting to them (millet or other treats), eventually they will come. We left the cage open for Buddy from when we got her, with the assumption that if she could figure how to get out, she could figure out how to get back in (that is, if she let us).

In terms of the wing-clipping, if you don't have other animals (dogs, cats), I would get a ladder that reaches to the ground for them to use when you are around. That way, they get more independence, even if they are not flighted.

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
Michelle and Theresa have the right idea. if you leave the cage open, and create situations around you that are interesting to them (millet or other treats), eventually they will come. We left the cage open for Buddy from when we got her, with the assumption that if she could figure how to get out, she could figure out how to get back in (that is, if she let us).

In terms of the wing-clipping, if you don't have other animals (dogs, cats), I would get a ladder that reaches to the ground for them to use when you are around. That way, they get more independence, even if they are not flighted.
thank you every one for your replies sooo very helpful