• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Letting new untamed bird out the cage?

Donuttb

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Aiden
I am looking to get my cockatiel next month and I know that they have to be let out their cage to fly about daily, however the bird will most likely not be tame due to it being from a breeder however it will be young enough to tame. So I was wondering what I do about getting him back in the cage (I presume he'll be scared of me at first)? With my budgies they'd fly off as soon as they could, get to high places then have you chase them around until they're tired. I'll start off by keeping the tiel in his cage until he seems settled it. But then when it comes to letting him fly about, do I attempt to tame him before letting him out his cage at all or let him out and hope he goes back in before I have to leave for college etc? I dont really want to grab the bird if I don't have to, nor do I want to deprive it from its flight. Please note I will let him out before I leave for college and when I get back.
I was also wondering if it is nessercary for him to have a buddy with him? The chances are there will be very few cockatiels at the next bird show and I may only get one. I dont want my bird being depressed because he has nobody to interact with while I'm at college. My cage will be atleast H51xW30xD21 (inches) if not bigger so I think it is big enough for two tiels, however I am concerned about them becoming attached to each other and kinda ignoring me. I heard it is harder to tame a bird when there is another untame bird with it, and considering both the tiels are untamed I can't take one off to tame it individually. I can't believe it's too hard to tame two of them, I'm guessing it applies to more aviary tiels but I'd like to make sure:)

Thanks for reading

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Aiden, don't get your bird from a bird show. There are a lot of diseases floating around at these events. Nor a pet store. Get it from a Breeder who doesn't go to bird shows.

Donuttb

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Aiden
Aiden, don't get your bird from a bird show. There are a lot of diseases floating around at these events. Nor a pet store. Get it from a Breeder who doesn't go to bird shows.
I understand there is a risk and appriciate your concern however it is a small show with maybe 15 sellers in a village hall, used for weddings, with a side kitchen etc so is cleaned regularly for health and safety reasons-not one of those large auction/ farm style ones with 100s of sellers. if one pops up for sale around me that isn't to do with the show I'll hop on it. The issue is I live in North Devon where the nearest tiel for sale is 60 or so miles away, for a pair of 2 year old tiels that are untamed aviary birds, all others are remotely out of range due to lack of transport. I will have a look and make sure but I've bought quite a few budgies from this show and only lost one, most like to a scare. I've got my eye on one down country however I just wanted to check the local show before spending £40 to get there and back :) If I notice anything wrong/ dodgy I will avoid it :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I understand there is a risk and appriciate your concern however it is a small show with maybe 15 sellers in a village hall, used for weddings, with a side kitchen etc so is cleaned regularly for health and safety reasons-not one of those large auction/ farm style ones with 100s of sellers. if one pops up for sale around me that isn't to do with the show I'll hop on it. The issue is I live in North Devon where the nearest tiel for sale is 60 or so miles away, for a pair of 2 year old tiels that are untamed aviary birds, all others are remotely out of range due to lack of transport. I will have a look and make sure but I've bought quite a few budgies from this show and only lost one, most like to a scare. I've got my eye on one down country however I just wanted to check the local show before spending £40 to get there and back :) If I notice anything wrong/ dodgy I will avoid it :)
glad to hear that, Aiden! As for the flying, I'm sure folks will be along soon with ideas!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This is a good read :) Old World Aviaries: Bird marts

Anyways, I have never had to tame a bonded bird, so no help there. As for how to get them back in, I have an untame quaker. Every night before bed I put his favorite snack in his food bowl and tap the perch on his cage door. As soon as he gets to the perch I say HOME. Eventually he understood what HOME meant and now I can just tap the perch and say home and he goes home. To start though, you can take food away an hour or so before he needs to get back in, then give him his meal in the cage to encourage him to go back in, then just close the door behind him.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Are you Aiden Turner from the UK?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have a problem with that article everyone keeps citing. The tests (supposed tests) were conducted almost 20 years ago. If the illnesses were as rampant as they say, all our fids would be deceased, extinct, or extremely ill by now.

Something is fishy.

NeuroticAlpaca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alexandra
My conure Thorin is supposed to be tame, but is not. We've taught him to go into his cage by holding his seed jar (and empty bisto jar with safflower seeds in it) in front of his cage door. He'll run in, stand on his perch, and take one seed before allowing us to close it. It's a good trick and was simple enough to teach- and cockatiels don't have the bite Thorin has.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have a problem with that article everyone keeps citing. The tests (supposed tests) were conducted almost 20 years ago. If the illnesses were as rampant as they say, all our fids would be deceased, extinct, or extremely ill by now.

Something is fishy.

That's fair, and for another topic I suppose. My understanding is that MANY of the birds in the US are actually carriers for Avian Bornavirus, but many do not manifest symptoms of PBFD at all. So maybe that's why it seems truthful to me?

I'll stop citing it though until I can do more looking into it. Thanks!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Check out these webinars on this website Parrot Digital Media | Online Parrot Media number 8. Training Rescued and Re-Homed Parrots and 2. Train Your Parrot to Step Up.... these will help you allot and the first one is free ..they both have great information :)