• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lesser Sulfur Cockatoo in MN

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
IMG_4594.JPG Hey everyone,
Today I brought home Birdy, as his owner no longer has a home and surrendered him to me. Sadly, I cannot keep him. I am at my max limit for birds in my house. But I want him to go to a good, loving home that understands cockatoos. He is 20 years old, and has plucking issues. His last owner had had him since he was 5 years old. He's been around dogs, but I'm not sure if he does well with them. From what I could tell, he doesn't mind them if he's inside his cage. I don't believe he does well with small children. My 5 year old makes him quite nervous, although it's only been a day so that could change. He wasn't around small children previously. He loves teenage boys. He attached to my nephew instantly, then my two older sons once my nephew left.
He really is a sweet bird. I believe he just needs a companion. Someone who can give him the love and attention he needs and deserves. I didn't take him just to dump him off somewhere else, I will be making sure he goes to a good home. I'm hoping to find someone who can look past his physical flawed features, and see him for the sweet boy that he is.
IMG_4592.JPG

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I hope he finds a great home! So sad about his owner! :(

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Poor little guy. Do you know what his weight is? He looks a little big to be a lesser, but maybe. I hope you find him a great home!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
poor little too, hoping he finds a loving home and soft landing

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Awww, he's a cutie. So nice of you to take him until he finds his forever home.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Birdy does look like Cassie did...minus Cassie's beautiful brown eyes, of course. He also looks a little bigger than Cass was.

I wish I had just a little more room here...if I did, Birdy would be coming here...in a minute. I'd be renting a van and coming out there to bring him home.

Hopefully you will find his special person soon...:heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking him into your home even though it's temporary. Hope you can find a great new home for him.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He's adorable, missing feathers and all! I hope you can find a wonderful home for him.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Looks like an eleanora cockatoo to me.
I think you're probably correct...Birdy looks a little big to be a LSC...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Cassie was a LSC. She had the most beautiful brown eyes I've ever seen in a bird. She was definitely my :heart: bird. I wish I could post of picture of her (so you could see the similarities between Birdy and her) but all my pictures have been lost over time. :(

Everything I have read states that males of the species have black eyes and females brown. To me, Birdy looked to have black eyes in the picture, so I naturally assumed Birdy was a boy. My apologies to you and Birdy...:)

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm going to post this in the cockatoo section as well.

Your duplicate thread was removed. Rehoming threads must be kept to the Rehome Highway forum, which is moderated.

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
Everything I have read states that males of the species have black eyes and females brown. To me, Birdy looked to have black eyes in the picture, so I naturally assumed Birdy was a boy. My apologies to you and Birdy...:)
No need to apologize. The girl said she recently had Birdy DNA tested, and she was surprised that after all these years of calling him a "her", he was in fact a "he". But "he" has brown eyes, which surprised me. I've read the same about their eye color.

Birdy is about the same size, maybe a little smaller than my BFA. Does that help determine which type of cockatoo he is??

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Cassie went about 380g...do you know how much Birdy weighs?

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Eye color isn't a good way to sex a cockatoo.
It's said that you can sex an African grey based on the shape of their facial patch, that a male's will be angular and a female's rounder. There's something else said about the feathers under their wings, that males will have darker ones and the female a lighter grey. It is said that you can sex linnies that way too, that males will have more black on the tail feathers than a female.

The thing is though, all birds have some degree of variation and it isn't really based on sex. It isn't really based on anything? Not even how much they weigh. That'd be similar to saying that human men are always taller than human women. Which is silly. Of course there are outliers.
There are large females. That's how we got English budgies and Long feather lovebirds. By taking the largest birds of both sexes and breeding them together until they became quite noticeably different than the "usual" budgies and lovebirds.

Some birds you can somewhat safely sex based on personality/traits. For instance, if your IRN is really young but is pretty vocal, trying to talk, hopping/marching and making "heart wings" then there is a very strong chance it's male. However, females that are around males that do these things often mimic these behaviors too. It would not be impossible for a single female to do some of those things either. (but it is unlikely)

If a parrot species is not sexually dimorphic the only real way to sex them correctly is to DNA test them or wait until they lay an egg.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Eye color isn't a good way to sex a cockatoo.
Agreed.

I mentioned it only because it is widely published as a "fact"...which as you said, it isn't. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.