• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Legs Not Working

Susie S

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Susie Swonger
Seven week old cockatiel, had been badly stunted. I finally got him to grow and such, and though he's still around a week or so developmentally behind his siblings, he is finally growing and thriving.

This morning a I went to check on him, and his legs weren't working, couldn't hold his weight. He's breathing normally, his pulse is steady, he can still flap his wings, he's eating for me. His legs just... quit. He can't stand up or walk, and he seems to be having trouble moving anything besides his head and wings. I don't know what could have happened, I sleep with the box I keep him in right next me.

I just want to know what could be wrong with him and what I can do to help him or at least make it easier on him until I can get him to the vet.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The only advice I have is to get him to the vet ASAP/STAT!
Don't stress him and probably cover the brooder on three sides to keep him calm and quiet.
Hope the little one will be OK.

Last edited:

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
I hope your baby makes a full recovery. Avian vet...that'd be my first response,so I'd just echo iamwhoiam's post. Even a vet emergency center. We have to call ahead for ours, but they've been great with our cats in the past.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
little one needs to see a avian vet ASAP

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope he will be okay! Please keep us posted.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Something very wrong...As long as he did not fall & may not have a concussion then keep him warm & in a small safe container quiet & covered & vet asap/