• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leg band clippers? Where can I get them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Me, too :(

I'm always scared Cooks is gonna get caught on something. They're unnatural :(
My 'toos and my beloved Gra (scarlet macaw) HAVE indeed gotten toy hook and things caught onto their leg bands!

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli

I just did some research and called a couple vets in my area and they said that they can microchip as small as a green cheek conure or as little as 65 grams.

Just wanted to let you know.

Thanks
but most of mine are 30gr and below (budgies, lovebirds, parrotlets) I have more smaller birds then I do medium sized birds :)

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Ugh, we had a Blue and Gold at the Sanctuary who chewed on his closed leg band last weekend. He completely managed to crush it around his foot even though it was made from a standard good quality material.

They had to put him under anesthetics to remove it because he became so panicked! They did manage to remove it eventually with bolt cutters but it took ages. I'm just SO glad the staff saw what had happened before everyone went home for the night! Imagine if he had lost a leg just because of a leg band?! :eek:

I'm not a fan of leg bands either. I've had to have one of my bird's leg bands removed because he just would not leave it alone. It became a constant obsession.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
My GCC had one that was split and he did nothing but bite at it! I had it removed.

JazzysDad

Sitting on the front steps
A few years back, our BCC got her band off somehow and we never found it! It might have been a little big for her since she is on the small side.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
I just did some research and called a couple vets in my area and they said that they can microchip as small as a green cheek conure or as little as 65 grams.

Just wanted to let you know.
Whatever happened to the leg band you started this thread about? Did you find a leg band removal tool?

I read somewhere that microchips are being associated with tumor develoment. When I find the article, I'll post it.

I understand that the scale pattern on every bird's feet/legs is unique to that particular bird, so might be a good idea to take close-up photographs of those areas to use as identification rather than using bands or chips.

I too am against bands, can be dangerous to the life of any bird and can be irritating to some birds, if not all. Some may just not show their dislike of them beause they kinda got used to them. I bet ya, if banded birds could communicate their feelings in words, they would ask that their bands be removed.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
I have worked as a vet assistant and I have removed them before but I can't seem to find the same band removers that was at the vets office.

My scarlet has a closed band but it is not normal. I have not seen this kind before and I want to remove it, it has no writing on it and it seems to bother him. He looks like he may have rubbed it raw in the past and it healed and he is messing with it a lot. He is going to the vet wednesday but I don't know if they will have the clippers for him there. I wanted to see if I can buy some to remove the Macaw size.
i have had most of my bands removed..BIG BOLT CUTTERS WORKED on the bands that were loose but had the vet take off others she used dremel and water to keep it cool and a lil sleepy juice

DarkSoldier246

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Eric
my caique's was taken off by the vet using bolt cutters, went totally fine

Vega

Real Name
Joni
My conure used to mess with his closed band all the time. Both good and bad. Good because he LOVED to walk around tapping it on things to hear the noises it made. Bad because it was a little large for him and often slipped over his "elbow" and onto the upper part of his leg.

I was fortunate that I didn't have to have the vet remove it. I read a story where 2 birds each had a leg stuck in 1 band. The owner was able to relax them enough to slip 1 of the legs out. It made me think...that night I went home and cuddled Harvey, only took a couple minutes and the bad was off - no problems.

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Can I suggest you see an avian vet and get them to take the legband off? They do it all the time for injured birds so have plenty of practise...it will be so much safer for your bird...and heavens forbid anything goes wrong, you'll be at the vet for "medical" help.

dorn27

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kristi
Both my girls were very irritated by their bands and had them removed. I don't regret it, even when Sunny got lost, I didn't regret it. I think they're unnatural, but if either of my girls would have been comfortable with them, I probably would have left them on.

I had two different vets remove them, both cases their foot swelled up for a few hours. Really made me believe how evil they are, since both vets are very skilled and I watched the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.