• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Left beans out overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
My flock gets beans every other week. I cooked some late last night and forgot to put them in the fridge, so they were out overnight. Still good or should I toss them?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Depends on how it smells. I don't make beans but when my mom makes bean soup it was often left out over night. Oops! But it smelled and tasted great in the morning. And we put it in the fridge. Heating it back up kills any bacteria.

But I don't know about bird beans. But I assume its all ths same.

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
Yea, they smell and look fine. I'm not tasting them though. :lol:I always make them at night when I do and since they need to be cooled before they go in the fridge, it was late and I forgot about them this time.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I've done the same. If they smell OK I'd go ahead and keep them. I'll portion and freeze just in case their life has been shortened by leaving them out.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I'm one of those "when in doubt, throw it out types". If you've ever had food poisoning you know why :lol: I also assume bacteria that may not be enough to kill me or make me sick might do in the birds. They are so much smaller than we are. I would rather just not take chances and look at it this way: the cost of the beans is much less than the cost of the vet bill if they did get sick.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Me too, when in doubt...throw it out.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I would throw them out. No way I would eat them or let my birds eat them. I imagine that food poisoning can kill a bird, especially if the bacteria get into the blood. I've had my share of it, including being hospitalized for it, and I NEVER want to go through that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.