• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leaving the cage

EmsyMarie

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone my parrotlet Star has been at my home for a few months now and still refused to leave his cage. I am worried as I know they need flight time but I don’t want to force him out. I leave the cage doors open whenever I am in and he sleeps near me and takes Millet fine.

I just don’t know what to do anymore? He is afraid of hands and is now stepping on a perch(which I hold) but will only use it to transfer from perch to perch so I cannot take him out on his perch or he will fly.

He is chirping and eating fine but it is really strange that he has no interest in leaving the cage?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
On a day where you are home (preferably all day), remove the food bowl and put it in front of the cage door (on the outside).
Be sure to cover all doors and mirrors should the bird decide to take flight, and after 2 months of no fly time, that bird may fall, panic or crash land so be aware of the space, and take extra measures to ensure the birds safety. Soft mastresses or towels on the floor for eg.
I´d also suggest to close the door and limit the bird to one room for now, make sure no other pets are around, and you aren´t stood right next to the cage.

Keep some millet on hand, should the bird come to you, you can reward him.

You shouldn´t have a problem getting the bird back in the cage, because your bird clearly likes it in there. Also, the bird will eventually return to the cage for food/drink.

I have had a bird almost 2 years who does not like hands and won´t respond to recall, but I have managed to get her back in her cage every time. There has only been a few days she wasn´t out, and only one I had an issue getting her back in.
Now, i tap the cage and say her name and she goes inside.

Important to reward the bird when he goes back in.

EmsyMarie

Meeting neighbors
Massive update!!!

So I was able to use a perch for him to come out and he flew around the room a few times and chirped away on top of my curtains (not the lovely parrot stand I have of course lol) . Then he jumped on a perch I was holding and let me carry him back to his cage. He kept eye contact with me all the time. As if he was watching to see if he was doing good. SO proud of him! Happy tears right now

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Put some treats outside the cage. Sure worked around here!

EmsyMarie

Meeting neighbors
Star is getting his favourite pepper seeds as a treat now :) he surprisingly seems pretty good at flying. Although he is in quite a big cage. It’s a Hagen vision large double height so he has been able to stretch his wings quite well.

With regard to EkkieLu’s comment. Star always has Millet outside his cage but he is just a really hesitant bird so the perch was the best way for him to come out. Hopefully now he has been outside he will realise how fun the outside world is :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad Star is coming out!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m happy to hear Star has has a good flight :)

on top of my curtains (not the lovely parrot stand I have of course lol)
Always the way. Bloody typical :roflmao: