• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Learning to fly

Sunni's Mom

Meeting neighbors
Hi Everyone,
Well Sunni is just learning to fly, and today she got startled by a knock at the door & the dogs barking at the same time and she flew into a mirror she seems to be ok but should I be concerned.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
How is she this morning? Has she been eating and drinking well?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If she’s learning to fly then you need to make it fly friendly. Disguising windows. Covering mirrors. Etc.

Today you were lucky. If it happens again tomorrow, you are to blame.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I’d take down the mirror when she’s out and set up good, sturdy landing posts — play trees, perches affixed to something strong, countertops, cages she can land on.

My adopted CAG came clipped and couldn’t fly 8 years ago. She just turned 16, and finally flew on her own accord last week without first being spooked, which had happened a few times. She was on the kitchen counter and took off across the kitchen, dining room and into the living room, where she landed on her cage. It was amazing!

Leading up to this, she had one or two spooked flights that ended with her landing ungracefully on the floor. And she had jumped-flown down to the ground from some low perches, including my hand.

Sunni's Mom

Meeting neighbors
Sunni is doing fine, yes she is eating & drinking well. Thanks for the luv. She flew into her cage off my hand this evening.